Re: Zcorp powder experimentation (take II)

  • threedeelabs
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2010
      Sure, here's my binder:

      The potassium sulfate is optional. It's an accelerator for drying your plaster faster.

      I also add a small amount of preservative. It's optional, but will make the binder last much longer. I use Proxel GXL. Note: this is a dangerous preservative in concentrated form, so be careful if you decide to use it!

      I've been sing this binder for a year, and my printheads last as long as when using zcorp binder. I use this with HP printheads, but Canon should be similar.

      You may need to fine tune the ratios depending on where you get your chemicals. There are two tools that are useful in fine tuning:

      Surface Tensionometer
      http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=5978090

      Viscosity meter:
      http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0870100

      Binder:

      Percentage (amount needed for 1 gallon)

      Distilled Water: 93.45% volume (3537 ml)
      Surfynol 465: 0.5% volume (18.92 ml)
      Glycerol: 6% volume (227.12 ml)
      Potassium Sulfate: 0.2% weight (7.5 mg)
      Proxel GXL: 0.05% volume (1.89 ml)

      My sources:

      Glycerol:
      http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8816552&pfx=WU

      Surfynol 465:
      http://www.airproducts.com/chemsamples/ProductSelect.asp?strSearch=surfynol%20465&strQueryRun=1

      Potassium Sulfate:
      http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8822253

      Proxel GXL:
      http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BIO/Docs/Splash/Proxel-GXL.pdf

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dandumit@...> wrote:

      > Great post ! Would you please share percentages / ratios ?
      >
      > > My binder has:
      > > Distilled Water
      > > Surfynol 465
      > > Glycerol
      > > Potassium Sulfate

    • threedeelabs
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2010
        an interesting thing I found when I first made this binder was that it smelled just like zcorp binder. The surfynol seems to be what they use in many of their binders. It has an unmistakable smell...

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dandumit@...> wrote:

        > Great post ! Would you please share percentages / ratios ?
        >
        > > My binder has:
        > > Distilled Water
        > > Surfynol 465
        > > Glycerol
        > > Potassium Sulfate

      • HottGal0
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 23, 2011
          is it working for hp11 printhead (i mean z450 printer), i tried many recipes but always same errore message (hp11 overtemp).
          do i have to purge the hp11 or not?
          is there any alternative for surfynol?
          is it working with salt powder?
          Thanks

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "threedeelabs" <threedlabs@...> wrote:

          > Sure, here's my binder:
          >
          > The potassium sulfate is optional. It's an accelerator for drying your plaster faster.
          >
          > I also add a small amount of preservative. It's optional, but will make the binder last much longer. I use Proxel GXL. Note: this is a dangerous preservative in concentrated form, so be careful if you decide to use it!
          >
          > I've been sing this binder for a year, and my printheads last as long as when using zcorp binder. I use this with HP printheads, but Canon should be similar.
          >
          > You may need to fine tune the ratios depending on where you get your chemicals. There are two tools that are useful in fine tuning:
          >
          > Surface Tensionometer
          > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=5978090
          >
          > Viscosity meter:
          > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0870100
          >

          > Binder:
          >
          > Percentage (amount needed for 1 gallon)
          >
          > Distilled Water: 93.45% volume (3537 ml)
          > Surfynol 465: 0.5% volume (18.92 ml)
          > Glycerol: 6% volume (227.12 ml)
          > Potassium Sulfate: 0.2% weight (7.5 mg)
          > Proxel GXL: 0.05% volume (1.89 ml)
          >

          > My sources:
          >
          > Glycerol:
          > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8816552&pfx=WU
          >
          > Surfynol 465:
          > http://www.airproducts.com/chemsamples/ProductSelect.asp?strSearch=surfynol%20465&strQueryRun=1
          >
          > Potassium Sulfate:
          > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8822253
          >
          > Proxel GXL:
          > http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BIO/Docs/Splash/Proxel-GXL.pdf
          >

          > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dandumit@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Great post ! Would you please share percentages / ratios ?
          > >
          > > > My binder has:
          > > > Distilled Water
          > > > Surfynol 465
          > > > Glycerol
          > > > Potassium Sulfate

        • brandonklus
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 4, 2016
            Has anyone determined a good powder that can be made on your own that works well with the described binder earlier in this post?