Re: Zcorp powder experimentation (take II)

  • matthiaswm
    Message 1 of 25 , May 31, 2010
      > HP is bubblejet. Among desktop printers, Epson is the only one using piezo heads.

      Oh, I did not know that. I am surprised then how different the complexity in running the cartridges is. The (old) Canon cartridges need many supply voltages and offer temperature control and what-not, whereas the(old) HP cartridges are merely a matrix with a single 20V supply. I assume then that the HP and Canon cartridges have pretty much the same limitations in respect to ink/binder.

      I have not looked at the Epson system - maybe I should start gathering information ;-)
    • threedeelabs
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2010
        Sure, here's my binder:

        The potassium sulfate is optional. It's an accelerator for drying your plaster faster.

        I also add a small amount of preservative. It's optional, but will make the binder last much longer. I use Proxel GXL. Note: this is a dangerous preservative in concentrated form, so be careful if you decide to use it!

        I've been sing this binder for a year, and my printheads last as long as when using zcorp binder. I use this with HP printheads, but Canon should be similar.

        You may need to fine tune the ratios depending on where you get your chemicals. There are two tools that are useful in fine tuning:

        Surface Tensionometer
        http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=5978090

        Viscosity meter:
        http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0870100

        Binder:

        Percentage (amount needed for 1 gallon)

        Distilled Water: 93.45% volume (3537 ml)
        Surfynol 465: 0.5% volume (18.92 ml)
        Glycerol: 6% volume (227.12 ml)
        Potassium Sulfate: 0.2% weight (7.5 mg)
        Proxel GXL: 0.05% volume (1.89 ml)

        My sources:

        Glycerol:
        http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8816552&pfx=WU

        Surfynol 465:
        http://www.airproducts.com/chemsamples/ProductSelect.asp?strSearch=surfynol%20465&strQueryRun=1

        Potassium Sulfate:
        http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8822253

        Proxel GXL:
        http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BIO/Docs/Splash/Proxel-GXL.pdf

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dandumit@...> wrote:

        > Great post ! Would you please share percentages / ratios ?
        >
        > > My binder has:
        > > Distilled Water
        > > Surfynol 465
        > > Glycerol
        > > Potassium Sulfate

      • threedeelabs
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2010
          an interesting thing I found when I first made this binder was that it smelled just like zcorp binder. The surfynol seems to be what they use in many of their binders. It has an unmistakable smell...

          --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dandumit@...> wrote:

          > Great post ! Would you please share percentages / ratios ?
          >
          > > My binder has:
          > > Distilled Water
          > > Surfynol 465
          > > Glycerol
          > > Potassium Sulfate

        • HottGal0
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 23, 2011
            is it working for hp11 printhead (i mean z450 printer), i tried many recipes but always same errore message (hp11 overtemp).
            do i have to purge the hp11 or not?
            is there any alternative for surfynol?
            is it working with salt powder?
            Thanks

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "threedeelabs" <threedlabs@...> wrote:

            > Sure, here's my binder:
            >
            > The potassium sulfate is optional. It's an accelerator for drying your plaster faster.
            >
            > I also add a small amount of preservative. It's optional, but will make the binder last much longer. I use Proxel GXL. Note: this is a dangerous preservative in concentrated form, so be careful if you decide to use it!
            >
            > I've been sing this binder for a year, and my printheads last as long as when using zcorp binder. I use this with HP printheads, but Canon should be similar.
            >
            > You may need to fine tune the ratios depending on where you get your chemicals. There are two tools that are useful in fine tuning:
            >
            > Surface Tensionometer
            > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=5978090
            >
            > Viscosity meter:
            > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=0870100
            >

            > Binder:
            >
            > Percentage (amount needed for 1 gallon)
            >
            > Distilled Water: 93.45% volume (3537 ml)
            > Surfynol 465: 0.5% volume (18.92 ml)
            > Glycerol: 6% volume (227.12 ml)
            > Potassium Sulfate: 0.2% weight (7.5 mg)
            > Proxel GXL: 0.05% volume (1.89 ml)
            >

            > My sources:
            >
            > Glycerol:
            > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8816552&pfx=WU
            >
            > Surfynol 465:
            > http://www.airproducts.com/chemsamples/ProductSelect.asp?strSearch=surfynol%20465&strQueryRun=1
            >
            > Potassium Sulfate:
            > http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=8822253
            >
            > Proxel GXL:
            > http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BIO/Docs/Splash/Proxel-GXL.pdf
            >

            > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dandumit@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Great post ! Would you please share percentages / ratios ?
            > >
            > > > My binder has:
            > > > Distilled Water
            > > > Surfynol 465
            > > > Glycerol
            > > > Potassium Sulfate

          • brandonklus
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2016
              Has anyone determined a good powder that can be made on your own that works well with the described binder earlier in this post?