Re: Printing size

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2010
      z axis moves in mm. 0.1mm each slice, you can change how thick you want your slice in the programm.

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "ny_hood50" <ny_hood50@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for your replies.
      > That will give me something to think about for my design.
      >
      > Most printers in the US are rated in DPI dots per inch.
      > I was wondering what was the DPI that most were using and if anyone has figured out the DPI for the z axis they were using.
      >
      > Also is the program that's used to slice the object into it's printable sections has a fixed thickness or is it settable, or is it computed by the program.
      >
      > dave
      >

      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "ny_hood50" <ny_hood50@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi from a new member to this group.
      > >
      > > To start with my name is Dave and have worked in the computer field for over 30 years now.
      > >
      > > I would like to get members thoughts on a few general questions that I have before getting into building a 3d printer.
      > >
      > > First one is the size of the printers print area.
      > > where x is the print head direction of travel
      > > and y is the paper feed direction
      > > and z is the height or thickness of the object
      > >
      > > What would the ideal print area be for most be,
      > > taking into consideration the amount of ink (using ink as a general term for what ever is ejected from the print head during printing) that the average print head holds.
      > > Amount of base materiel required etc....
      > >
      > > so would a size of 8 by 8 by 8 fit most applications?
      > >
      > > I know most are going to say it's more on what you intend on doing with your 3d printer. Knowing that I would really like to know if it would be better to have a larger 'Z' axis as it would be better to layer most objects bottom to top as an example vs a larger 'Y' axis.
      > >
      > > All comments and suggestions welcome.
      > >
      > > dave

    • ny_hood50
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
        How does the z axis of 0.1 mm compare to the x and y axis.

        Reason I'm asking is if your printing an object say a statue, would it be better to print it as it's standing giving more layers or on it's back having less layers but a larger x and y area to print. If the printing resolution was better in the x and y plane then that may be better to have a larger overall print area.

        thanks for reply
        dave

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
          x/y resolution is much better then z axis.
          if i´m printing a statue i´ll print it laid down. takes less time to print.