Re: color printing problem.

  • John
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2010
      Something I have considered but not tried yet, is to slice using the freesteel slicer to produce an image stack, then use imageJ to alter the stack with filters, one possibility is to experiment with grids and gradiants whilst preserving the borders, this may reduce the ink used, ImageJ is free and many filters are available.

    • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2010
        John,
        Thanks for the heads up on Freesteel. Its been pretty cold here, down into the 40's, and along with family and the holiday distractions I've been playing with software instead of hardware. I've gotten pretty far using the RepRap open cascade based slicer. My biggest hesitation on releasing it has been the need to download and install 5 support packages to make it work. It could turn into a nightmare.

        Changing a multi-page SVG's into multiple JPG's has not been easy. I've had to parse the multipage SVG into multiple single image SVG's and then convert them to JPG via ImageMagic. I haven't found anyway else to do it. I would appreciate any input on this.

        I've been real curious about how to handle colored input files myself. STL and STEP don't support color input so no matter how hard you try you can't get color out. 3D Modeling programs like Maya, Blender and Milkshape can output OBJ and 3DS files that carry color information. I can't imagine a workflow that would get me from a solid modeler like Inventor or Alibre to an OBJ or 3DS file format. Then how would you slice one of these files?

        A big mystery that I may worry about some day if and when I get my printer running.

        Roger