Slicing to DXF

  • Boman33
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 27, 2009

      I have seen references to a program that will slice a 3D object CAD file and make pictures for 3D layer printing.

      I am looking for something similar to get slices but in DXF file format or something that I can convert into G-code to run a laser cutter.  Afterwards I will pin align the layers and glue them.  Any reasonably priced suggestions?  I am using Solid Edge to create the 3D model.

      Bertho

    • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 2009
        Bertho,
        No easy answers but a couple of suggestions.

        One of the products offered by the makers of VCarve slices solids to GCode for building stacked models. I saw it demonstrated 2 years back but it wasn't free.

        There is a free RepRap program that slices STL models into GCode. The output GCode will need to be massaged a bit to run on a mill. It shouldn't be hard to do with a Perl or Python script. Someone may have already done it for you by now.

        There is a Python script <http://builders.reprap.org/2009/05/want-to-slice-step-files-or-bad-stl.html> that slices Step and STL files into SVG format. I've played with it a bit and it works well. As SVG is just vectors it should be pretty easy to convert the ascii SVG into ascii DXF.

        I was wondering about this myself in relation to a paper based 3D modeler using Mach3's tangential knife.

        Roger

        > I have seen references to a program that will slice a 3D object CAD file and
        > make pictures for 3D layer printing.
        > I am looking for something similar to get slices but in DXF file format or
        > something that I can convert into G-code to run a laser cutter. Afterwards
        > I will pin align the layers and glue them. Any reasonably priced
        > suggestions? I am using Solid Edge to create the 3D model.
      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 2009
          Skeinforge, I think will do what you want, search the reprap site for it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 2009
            Edit... just remembered that some time ago I hacked cam.py to do something similar, but when skeinforge came out I abandoned it, you will need to install python for both types of software, if I can find cam.py I could post it if you wish.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 2009

              Thanks John and Roger,

              Today I am trying my manually sliced assembly but I need to automate this procedure for both speed and accuracy.  It is too easy to make a mistake with all the layers.

              I have never used python but I can always take a look at it.

              I was watching a Z-Corp machine run today and I was surprised at how fast the powder spreading speed was.

              Bertho

               ===============

              From: John   Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 17:44

              href="http://builders.reprap.org/2009/05/want-to-slice-step-files-or-bad-stl.html">http://builders.reprap.org/2009/05/want-to-slice-step-files-or-bad-stl.html> that slices Step and STL files into SVG format. I've played with it a bit and it works well. As SVG is just vectors it should be pretty easy to convert the ascii SVG into ascii DXF.

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 2009
                http://www.boxford.co.uk/boxford/docs/products/rapid.htm
                does what you want. for about 500

                --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Boman33" <boman33@...> wrote:

                > I have seen references to a program that will slice a 3D object CAD file and
                > make pictures for 3D layer printing.
                >

                > I am looking for something similar to get slices but in DXF file format or
                > something that I can convert into G-code to run a laser cutter. Afterwards
                > I will pin align the layers and glue them. Any reasonably priced
                > suggestions? I am using Solid Edge to create the 3D model.
                >
                > Bertho

              • Jack
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 27, 2009
                  John,
                  If it is easy to find, I would enjoy seeing it to see how you did it.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2009
                    I have found it, there's me thinking I am organised, took me some time to find it, I shall upload the origonal cam.py and my hacked version, I am no programmer, least of all with python, pyscripter is a good free editor I use and can recommend it.