Intro

  • cobra_neil
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1 7:35 PM
      Hi all,

      My newbie intro... I've recently become quite fascinated with 3D printers, as an alternate way to make small one-off plastic pieces instead of CNC milling, as I'm currently doing. I think the recent kick is because I've seen lower-cost commercial machines available, and when researching those, there seem to be more ways to do DIY machines now.

      Currently I'm working on a precision X-Y gantry system for a homebrew pick-and-place system (surface-mount electronic components), and thinking I can use the same gantry for developing the 3D printer. I really need to read up on different ways that can be used to deposit material and different materials that can be deposited.

      I'm primarily an electronics guy (digital, microcontrollers, embedded systems), and my mechanical knowledge comes from years of playing with radio control aircraft, building kitcars, competition robotics, and some CNC-machine conversions.

      BTW, I mentor a high-school robotics team, and a handful of students want to do an off-season (now) project, so this will probably be it.

      Cheers,
      -Neil.
    • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2 1:44 PM
        Neil,
        You should check out RepRap.org. Their extruder system is more suited to a gantry machine.

        Roger

        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "cobra_neil" <techlists@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > My newbie intro... I've recently become quite fascinated with 3D printers, as an alternate way to make small one-off plastic pieces instead of CNC milling, as I'm currently doing. I think the recent kick is because I've seen lower-cost commercial machines available, and when researching those, there seem to be more ways to do DIY machines now.
        >
        > Currently I'm working on a precision X-Y gantry system for a homebrew pick-and-place system (surface-mount electronic components), and thinking I can use the same gantry for developing the 3D printer. I really need to read up on different ways that can be used to deposit material and different materials that can be deposited.
        >
        > I'm primarily an electronics guy (digital, microcontrollers, embedded systems), and my mechanical knowledge comes from years of playing with radio control aircraft, building kitcars, competition robotics, and some CNC-machine conversions.
        >
        > BTW, I mentor a high-school robotics team, and a handful of students want to do an off-season (now) project, so this will probably be it.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > -Neil.

      • Micro Cuantum
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3 8:16 AM
          hi I'm interested in your project and radio CNC control but will be possible to make a 7-axis CNC? As the circuit is better?
          I have a model in Rinho and I pass it via CNC reality if you can help me I would be very grateful that I buy?
          The card offers you can make a 7-axis CNC?
          What I want is to make my PC a CNC 7-axis CNC need good quality
          because my model is prepositional
          be possible? please explain with words.

[...]

          ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!
          Descarga gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
          http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=e1
        • cobra_neil
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5 8:08 PM
            Roger,

            I've seen the RepRap, and do intend to investigate more cause I remember seeing somewhere that it would do ABS and HDPE, which are materials I'm familiar with and know will work for things I want to make. Other machines I've seen worked with dental plaster, sugar and other materials that would make more fun to see parts rather than useful.

            Not really adamant on using a gantry, but thought that as I'm building one anyway, it would be an easy entry to a DIY 3D printer.

            I'm fully open to other options, but need to focus on the head/material/extruding technology first, so I know I'll get parts that are as clean/smooth/precise as possible. I say that because I've seen some really poor-quality parts from a machine called Fab@Home. Not criticizing, cause it's academically amazing, but not would not make useful parts for me.

            Still lots to research/read before I drop my tons of Q's on here :)

            Cheers,
            -Neil.

            --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, vrsculptor@... wrote:

            > Neil,
            > You should check out RepRap.org. Their extruder system is more suited to a gantry machine.
            >
            > Roger
            >
            > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "cobra_neil" <techlists@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > My newbie intro... I've recently become quite fascinated with 3D printers, as an alternate way to make small one-off plastic pieces instead of CNC milling, as I'm currently doing. I think the recent kick is because I've seen lower-cost commercial machines available, and when researching those, there seem to be more ways to do DIY machines now.
            > >
            > > Currently I'm working on a precision X-Y gantry system for a homebrew pick-and-place system (surface-mount electronic components), and thinking I can use the same gantry for developing the 3D printer. I really need to read up on different ways that can be used to deposit material and different materials that can be deposited.
            > >
            > > I'm primarily an electronics guy (digital, microcontrollers, embedded systems), and my mechanical knowledge comes from years of playing with radio control aircraft, building kitcars, competition robotics, and some CNC-machine conversions.
            > >
            > > BTW, I mentor a high-school robotics team, and a handful of students want to do an off-season (now) project, so this will probably be it.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > -Neil.

          • Micro Cuantum
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10 8:05 AM
              but you can help me make a circuit of CNC for my pc?
              ie as manufactured may send planes?

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10 8:20 AM
                Roger thanks for explaining to leave if I think I'll share something new I could help in the matter of material development in this area alone in this,
                for now my question is: if you can work with another printer I have a canon ip1000 and disarmament fully available as videos and wep page (http://homemade3dprinter.blogspot.com/) but at this printer from my engines are property 4 steps in that case that the command lines I need to change in the AT90S2313 micro controller source code that appears on the page as far as I understand only handle 5-step motors but do not have the 5 steps then where does thebesides the circuit change?

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 14 4:59 PM
                  oK good men