Arduino Duemilanove

  • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2009
      Hi All,
      Just a heads up... I've decided to use an Arduino Duemilanove as the controller for my flatbed printer. I resent having to learn yet another architecture (I've lost count) but it looks like a good solution. There are nice existing software objects including an interrupt driven encoder and great documentation and support.

      I'm in the process of developing a ramping stepper (step/dir) driver based on algorithm found at <http://www.hwml.com/LeibRamp.pdf>. I will provide for limit/home switches as well as a step/dir roller spin. I will also need a programmable pulse divider for driving the stepper from the printer's encoder.

      I am testing with a combination of Arduino and Mach3 (sort of like a logic analyzer) so have decided to include a $25 CNC4PC C10 breakout board <http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=45> as part of my system. It provides screw terminals, some isolation, eliminates pull up/pull down resistors, provides pulse shaping and enough current to operate my OPTO22 relays. It also simplifies wiring and prototyping and in combination with the Arduino eliminates the need for custom bread-boarding.

      When it comes to electronics I no longer need to be a hero. I prefer to use off the shelf solutions. It would cost me more than $25 to duplicate the functionality and it would make it much more difficult for people attempting to follow in my footsteps.

      Roger
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2009
        --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, vrsculptor@... wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > Just a heads up... I've decided to use an Arduino Duemilanove as the controller for my flatbed printer. I resent having to learn yet another architecture (I've lost count) but it looks like a good solution. There are nice existing software objects including an interrupt driven encoder and great documentation and support.
        >
        > I'm in the process of developing a ramping stepper (step/dir) driver based on algorithm found at <http://www.hwml.com/LeibRamp.pdf>. I will provide for limit/home switches as well as a step/dir roller spin. I will also need a programmable pulse divider for driving the stepper from the printer's encoder.
        >
        > I am testing with a combination of Arduino and Mach3 (sort of like a logic analyzer) so have decided to include a $25 CNC4PC C10 breakout board <http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=45> as part of my system. It provides screw terminals, some isolation, eliminates pull up/pull down resistors, provides pulse shaping and enough current to operate my OPTO22 relays. It also simplifies wiring and prototyping and in combination with the Arduino eliminates the need for custom bread-boarding.
        >
        > When it comes to electronics I no longer need to be a hero. I prefer to use off the shelf solutions. It would cost me more than $25 to duplicate the functionality and it would make it much more difficult for people attempting to follow in my footsteps.
        >
        > Roger

        Roger
        This is also the combination I use, mach3 gives a great deal of freedom to add special function and program logic, the breakout board gives opto isolation as well as other benefits, and the arduino can go of and do tasks when prompted by mach3, ie re-coating, one other thing I use are stepper drive boards, arc eurotrade or similar, the initial outlay for all this is steep but with this combination a great many projects can be done.

        John
      • Micro Cuantum
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
          CNC is interesting but what I do not understand your words
          I know if it is possible to make a 7-axis CNC with these circuits as serious as okay?
          I also want a file des Rinho make a piece that I have to make it happen with your CNC circuit all from my computer

          es interesante lo del CNC pero por que no me explicas con tus palabras quiero saber si es posible hacer un CNC de 7 ejes con estos circuitos como seria cuanto vale? también quiero des un archivo en rinho hacer una pieza que tengo para hacerla realidad con su circuito de CNC todo desde mi PC

          > Just a heads up... I've decided to use an Arduino Duemilanove as the controller for my flatbed printer. I resent having to learn yet another architecture (I've lost count) but it looks like a good solution. There are nice existing software objects including an interrupt driven encoder and great documentation and support.
          >
          > I'm in the process of developing a ramping stepper (step/dir) driver based on algorithm found at <http://www.hwml. com/LeibRamp. pdf>. I will provide for limit/home switches as well as a step/dir roller spin. I will also need a programmable pulse divider for driving the stepper from the printer's encoder.
          >
          > I am testing with a combination of Arduino and Mach3 (sort of like a logic analyzer) so have decided to include a $25 CNC4PC C10 breakout board <http://www.cnc4pc. com/Store/ osc/product_ info.php? cPath=33& products_ id=45> as part of my system. It provides screw terminals, some isolation, eliminates pull up/pull down resistors, provides pulse shaping and enough current to operate my OPTO22 relays. It also simplifies wiring and prototyping and in combination with the Arduino eliminates the need for custom bread-boarding.
          >
          > When it comes to electronics I no longer need to be a hero. I prefer to use off the shelf solutions. It would cost me more than $25 to duplicate the functionality and it would make it much more difficult for people attempting to follow in my footsteps.
          >
          > Roger

          Roger
          This is also the combination I use, mach3 gives a great deal of freedom to add special function and program logic, the breakout board gives opto isolation as well as other benefits, and the arduino can go of and do tasks when prompted by mach3, ie re-coating, one other thing I use are stepper drive boards, arc eurotrade or similar, the initial outlay for all this is steep but with this combination a great many projects can be done.

          John

          ¡Obtén la mejor experiencia en la web!
          Descarga gratis el nuevo Internet Explorer 8
          http://downloads.yahoo.com/ieak8/?l=e1
        • vrsculptor@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
            The software I am developing is for a single axis. That is all that is needed for 3D printing. If you have more than one axis you need coordinated moves which is much more difficult. The more axis, the more complexity.

            This is not the right group for CNC questions. You need to look for CNC software such as Mach3 which can handle 6 axis or EMC2 <linuxcnc.org> which can handle at least 6 (maybe 8) axis and strange kinematics. I don't understand the need for 7 axis unless you are doing live tooling on a lathe. 5 axis machines can machine any shape. Hexapods only need 6 axis.

            Building a 3 axis CNC machine is challenging enough. I've done a few CNC conversions and don't think I would tackle more than a 5 axis machine. Please do some more study before contacting the CNC groups. They can help but only if you have a solid understanding of what you are trying to do.

            Roger