9120Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] What to think of this ?

  • Jon Watson
    Jan 12, 2014
      Haha, I think they're playing with words here.  First of all, they're not talking about Z resolution or layer thickness, even though most will get that from their specs.  Second, I seriously doubt there is a ballscrew that can move in .1 micron increments.  That's .0001 mm!

      I think they are referring to the laser dot size.  But even so, can you imagine how large the file would be with enough lines to fill an object print with a line that fine?  Complete overkill and not practical at all.

      If they can achieve that resolution, why doesn't their sample prints show it?  Heck, they'd need electron microscope images to show they can achieve that resolution!

      It's just marketing.  the ".1micron" is only dot size that's possible in this case.

      Printing at that resolution would be like drawing a mural on the side of a building with colored pencils!

      Just my 2 cents.

      I contacted the makers of the "nano owl" through their web site, and asked if the one-tenth micron resolution was a typo. Their short response was "Not a typo"

      Now they don't state if that is x, y, or z, or if there is any difference, or if that is the best case, or worst case or ??, so we'll have to wait for more info.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic