9066Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Desktop 3D printer claims speed record

  • Jon Watson
    Dec 24, 2013
      Maybe a couple of Pico projectors?  Sounds like a lot of trouble just to save space.  Having to align 2 projectors and have software that will split the image across 2 projectors? Dunno about that.  They also claimed "no tilt, no sliding" so floating is a strong possibility.  Maybe they are using a thin layer of oil or something else "resin-friendly" (and heavier) to coat the vat bottom.  You don't need much to do the trick.  A generous bed of salt water or similar might be too sloshy to float the resin on.

      A thin layer of "something" might actually work really well, as long as it's clear and flat as not to distort the projection.  But if it's thin enough, the distortion would be minimal.  But then, you gotta wonder about the threshold between the "mystery substance" and the resin.  Will they separate cleanly?  Will any stick to the part?  All interesting questions.

      Jon

      From my experiments super hydrophobic surfaces do not work with resin, in fact they are resin philic. Floating on a fluid is certainly possible. Can't see space for sliding, perhaps it is tilt and they want to keep it quiet ;)

      Resolution is 0.25mm x and y, 0.1mm layer.

      The projector is confusing, must be folded mirrors I guess, perhaps two projectors each with a mirror.

      Graham

      On 24 Dec 2013, at 17:49, Jon Watson <jon@...> wrote:

      If they don't use tilt or slide, they must have found a super hydrophobic surface coating that is optically clear.  OR - they're floating the resin on top of another liquid. (It's like they're kind of "hinting" to that in the video when they drop the colored resin into the liquid)
      I can't think of any other way they are keeping the "stick" to a minimum.

      They never mention the resolution of the projector.  You can also see that the printed objects do not have a very good XY resolution.  They mention that the part resolution is about the same resolution as a monitor, which would only be about 100dpi - not that great!

      Also, I can't figure out where they put the projector?!  Are they mounting it on the back, facing downward, bouncing the image off a couple mirrors?  How can they get a projection 8.5 x x11" from inside the box?  Baffling to say the least.

      Jon

      I think they just lift it up from the liquid surface..  At least it looks like that in the video..