8960RE: RE: Re: Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] RE: RE: RE: RE: Highest DIY XY resolution ?

    Oct 15, 2013

       This is all sales pitch mumbo-jumbo.

      The Laser scanning unit in every laser printer contains all of the bullet points that are as a separate description:

      LSU has an octagonal mirror spinning at high speed. It detects the start with a built in diode, otherwise your pages printed will look a bit staggered :-D. It has an F-Theta lens so the laser beam can be perpendicular to the photosensitive drum that has the toner attracted to it.

      So If we hack a laser unit from a printer and place it on linear slide. and set the home ( page start detect ) - very similar to Alvaro's hack at the start of the group - we should have a top lit 3d printer that has the A4 ( or letter/legal ) whatever format the page is.

      The Laser diode is usually an IR diode.

      The multi beam/diodes are combined so the power is combined ( There are losses on the mirror/lens F-theta group) so the curing can happen much quicker.

      Cheers!

      Peter

      ---In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, <diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      1. Orthogonal mirror....the mirrors surface is warped in a way that maintains, or at least improves beam perpendicularity.

      2. Spinning drum..not likely to be a cylindrical drum, but saying a polygonal mirror in the same breath as orthogonal doesnt work..multiple orthogonal mirrors are oriented around an axis

      3. Multicavity...multiple diode lasers, either pinholed or optically reduced, and coupled in an interlaced array.

      For the record, Ive never seen the insides of this particular style of printer, so my assumptions and analysis should not be considered anything more then conjecture based on my own experiments.

      Oh and as to the issue of beam home detection, tracking mirror rotation with an encoder has shown significantly less drift then other approaches Ive tinkered with.

      ---In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, <diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM, <rm@...> wrote:

      Using a multi-cavity laser diode with an orthogonal mirror spinning at 20,000 rpm, the light is reflected through the spinning drum and goes through a series of optical elements thereby focusing the light onto the surface of the photo polymer across the Y direction. The Imaging Light source (ILS) which contains the Multi cavity laser diode, it’s driver, and all optics, is traveling in X direction at 1-2 inches per second (material dependent) as the light is scanning in the Y direction and selectively photo curing the polymer based on the path data set.

      This is certainly a spinning mirror sort of a scanning system but I have to say the description is a little cryptic. Orthogonal mirror? Spinning drum? And why multicavity?