8959Re: Re: Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] RE: RE: RE: RE: Highest DIY XY resolution ?

    Oct 15, 2013
      I'm afraid this doesn't make any more sense to me. They might have an f-theta mirror after a polygon scanner to correct for the focal length but orthogonality of the beam is hardly an issue. Or maybe they are saying orthogonal mirror to mean it bends the beam by 90 degrees. I don't suppose they really want anyone to understand.

      All laser printers detect the beam optically from what I can tell, seems to work well enough, just a matter of implementing it properly, there should be very little variation in rotational speed so no reason why it should not work.

      Cheers,

      Graham

      On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM, <metalations@...> wrote:

      1. Orthogonal mirror....the mirrors surface is warped in a way that maintains, or at least improves beam perpendicularity.

      2. Spinning drum..not likely to be a cylindrical drum, but saying a polygonal mirror in the same breath as orthogonal doesnt work..multiple orthogonal mirrors are oriented around an axis

      3. Multicavity...multiple diode lasers, either pinholed or optically reduced, and coupled in an interlaced array.

      For the record, Ive never seen the insides of this particular style of printer, so my assumptions and analysis should not be considered anything more then conjecture based on my own experiments.

      Oh and as to the issue of beam home detection, tracking mirror rotation with an encoder has shown significantly less drift then other approaches Ive tinkered with.

      ---In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, <diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM, <rm@...> wrote:

      Using a multi-cavity laser diode with an orthogonal mirror spinning at 20,000 rpm, the light is reflected through the spinning drum and goes through a series of optical elements thereby focusing the light onto the surface of the photo polymer across the Y direction. The Imaging Light source (ILS) which contains the Multi cavity laser diode, it’s driver, and all optics, is traveling in X direction at 1-2 inches per second (material dependent) as the light is scanning in the Y direction and selectively photo curing the polymer based on the path data set.

      This is certainly a spinning mirror sort of a scanning system but I have to say the description is a little cryptic. Orthogonal mirror? Spinning drum? And why multicavity?