8954RE: Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] RE: RE: RE: RE: Highest DIY XY resolution ?

  • pjotr_du_mat
    Oct 14, 2013

      3SP™ – Scan, Spin and Selectively Photocure

      Using a multi-cavity laser diode with an orthogonal mirror spinning at 20,000 rpm, the light is reflected through the spinning drum and goes through a series of optical elements thereby focusing the light onto the surface of the photo polymer across the Y direction. The Imaging Light source (ILS) which contains the Multi cavity laser diode, it’s driver, and all optics, is traveling in X direction at 1-2 inches per second (material dependent) as the light is scanning in the Y direction and selectively photo curing the polymer based on the path data set.

      Key Parameters

      • Build Speed: Up to 10 mm/hour for full envelope
      • Drum Motor Speed: Up to 20000 RPM
      • Motion Speed: Up to 50 mm/second
      • Scanning Speed: Up to 10000 inch/second
      • X Resolution 15µm
      • Y Resolution 3.8µm
      • Spinning Drum Motor Speed = 20000 RPM
      • Scanning time per line = 500 microseconds, which takes 33000 CPU ticks. The whole scanning size is around 250mm, thus each CPU tick is 250/33000=0.0075mm, which reflects the Y Resolution. Suppose the X motion speed is 30mm/second, during each scanning, the motor moves 30 mm/sec *0.0005 sec =0.015mm, which reflects the X Resolution.

      Major Advantages of 3SP™ Technology

      • Low operating cost with the use of multi cavity DIODE laser
      • Self Calibrating system to maintain desired light intensity
      • User replaceable Light Imaging source Assembly (factory Calibrated)
      • Ability to extend the build envelope in X axis without sacrificing resolution (Modular) and Cascadable in X and Y
      • Focused Optics guarantee beam uniformity in the Y scan direction
      • Shrinkage can be controlled regardless of Geometry and material shrinkage properties
      • Ability to use multiple material with high viscosity including filled materials Advantages (vs SLA)
      • Higher Speed
      • 3SP™: No beam Acceleration and Deceleration
      • SLA: focusing lens moves
      • 10000 inch/second vs. 200-300 inch/second.
      • Less Distortion
      • One dimensional vs. two dimensional
      • 3SP™: F-Theta lens keeps focus
      • SLA: Geo calibration table has to be applied from center to corner due to the use of XY Galvo Mirrors to create the proper offsets

      How will 3SP™ Technology Impact the 3D printing market

      • Mass customization of high accuracy products
      • High speed printing (10 mm per hour for full envelope) which allows for high productivity in replacing low cost manually produced models (20mm in 2 hours @ 50 microns resolution for full envelope which is 2X faster than any other system in the market today)
      • Ability to produce highly accurate parts at more competitive cost without loss of speed with high surface quality and material functionality.

      ---In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, <diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Do you mean this one: http://wot.lv/scanning-laser-projector.html ?

      I did it, but I didn't like the results. It was done on ARM MCU development
      board from TI- Stellaris (now Tiva) Launchpad.

      Main problem was- how to detect start of the line condition reliably. I tried to use
      ordinary LED (with peak emission wavelength a bit above what I wanted to
      detect), which generates tiny current when hit by laser. Projected pattern
      shifted back and forth- it never stayed at exactly the same place.

      One of our hackerspace members suggested to try an old "canned" transistor,
      with the metal top removed- but I don't think he actually tried it (and
      I didn't like that approach, as it is really specific part, which I think is
      readily available only in post-USSR countries).

      On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:49:15PM -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
      > pzamov@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I doubt there is a patent ( it is TM - trade Mark as 3SP ) - as we
      > > have discussed a laser scanning unit and the Octa/Penta/Hexa/Hepta
      > > sided mirror scanning the full A4 page in seconds. It is extendible (
      > > just add rails ) and there is no acceleration/deceleration. I think we
      > > were talking about the same thing - putting a laser printer scanner
      > > unit on linear slide rails. As there are printers with 30+ pages per
      > > minute - equates to 30 layers per minute @25 micron = 45mm per hour
      > > that is WOW.
      > >
      > Yup, I'd love to see this scheme work, and it really shouldn't be that
      > difficult,
      > mechanically. But, it probably takes an FPGA to transmit the bit stream
      > to the laser in sync with the mirror. There was a blog on a DIY PCB
      > site about a machine using this scheme to expose PCB resist directly
      > with a UV laser. I think he did it using the DMA hardware on a
      > Beagle Board, Rasberry Pi or maybe even an Arduino. So, it may
      > be that one of the system on a chip boards could do it with minimal
      > additional hardware.
      > Jon
    • Show all 87 messages in this topic