8952Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] RE: RE: RE: RE: Highest DIY XY resolution ?

  • Reinis Veips
    Oct 14, 2013
      Do you mean this one: http://wot.lv/scanning-laser-projector.html ?

      I did it, but I didn't like the results. It was done on ARM MCU development
      board from TI- Stellaris (now Tiva) Launchpad.

      Main problem was- how to detect start of the line condition reliably. I tried to use
      ordinary LED (with peak emission wavelength a bit above what I wanted to
      detect), which generates tiny current when hit by laser. Projected pattern
      shifted back and forth- it never stayed at exactly the same place.

      One of our hackerspace members suggested to try an old "canned" transistor,
      with the metal top removed- but I don't think he actually tried it (and
      I didn't like that approach, as it is really specific part, which I think is
      readily available only in post-USSR countries).

      Reinis

      On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 08:49:15PM -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
      > pzamov@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I doubt there is a patent ( it is TM - trade Mark as 3SP ) - as we
      > > have discussed a laser scanning unit and the Octa/Penta/Hexa/Hepta
      > > sided mirror scanning the full A4 page in seconds. It is extendible (
      > > just add rails ) and there is no acceleration/deceleration. I think we
      > > were talking about the same thing - putting a laser printer scanner
      > > unit on linear slide rails. As there are printers with 30+ pages per
      > > minute - equates to 30 layers per minute @25 micron = 45mm per hour
      > > that is WOW.
      > >
      > Yup, I'd love to see this scheme work, and it really shouldn't be that
      > difficult,
      > mechanically. But, it probably takes an FPGA to transmit the bit stream
      > to the laser in sync with the mirror. There was a blog on a DIY PCB
      > site about a machine using this scheme to expose PCB resist directly
      > with a UV laser. I think he did it using the DMA hardware on a
      > Beagle Board, Rasberry Pi or maybe even an Arduino. So, it may
      > be that one of the system on a chip boards could do it with minimal
      > additional hardware.
      >
      > Jon
    • Show all 87 messages in this topic