      From: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com [mailto:diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of chrismarion@...
      Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 9:56 AM
      To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] RE: Xenon printing

      If you're looking to transmit high amounts of IR in the tens or hundreds of Watts range for heating/fusing applications, normal Silica glass fiber won't do the job at all. You're looking for a specialty soft glass Fluoride fiber that is formulated with rare earth elements to allow it to transmit IR, and these don't come cheap. I work as an engineer in a facility where we manufacture all these different kinds of optical fibers, and these types of fibers sell for >$700-800 per meter of a single fiber, easily.

      Graham Stabler <grezmos@...> wrote:

      Can you explain the light guide? Is it a bunch of fibres?

      Your idea is to fuse a powder? I assume with heat? That means you need IR content, fibres tend to strip all that out, you get quite a cold light out of them.

      On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Randy <rwwink@...> wrote:

      I’d like to ask some questions of the group even though I don’t normally do anything but monitor this group.

      I have had and can get a Xenon light source that used to cure conformal coatings (I don’t remember the wattage or wave length, I’d have to do some research).  In the system I’ve worked with, they use a light pipe to allow the light source to be stationary while moving the end about to cure a large area.  The light delivered is defused/defocused to cure as large as area as possible.

      Using this concept, could a fixed focus lens be fitted to the end of the light pipe, that instead of defocusing the beam, focuses it into a small spot.  The end of the light pipe and the focusing lens would be mounted to a positional X-Y stage and use a vertical tank to move the surface of the material/part into the focus area of the lens?

      The concept would, because of the higher power available with the Xenon lamp, allow the direct fusing of plastic powder which would be somewhat easier to deal with as opposed to a liquid.  The media, plastic powder, would not be so picky to the curing wavelength but power delivery to the area would.

      Could somebody punch holes in this concept for me?

      R Wink

      No virus found in this message.