8297Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] How far 3D printing has (not) come since Good Morning America - January 1989

    Mar 1, 2013
      I am a big fan of 3D printing and RP etc (duh) but it gets to me how the media act like it is something so new. The low cost end is pretty new but it needn't of been, it was just that the market was not seen and how to you charge big bucks to the industrial side if the low end machines are so cheap? I also see continued mentions of printing guns and the like as if 3D printers are a big danger, they might as well call a lathe a danger. What they don't realize is the cost of metal based 3D systems and those are not so likely to go down in price due to their use of big scary lasers.

      I think there are interesting things to come especially on the medical side but I'm not sure the ability to print a new knob for your cooker is going to put a machine in every home. We also need to teach people something about mechanical engineering and CAD but the printers should help on that front.

      On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM, arthur2shedsj <arthur2shedsj@...> wrote:

      I found this video amusing and sad at the same time. It reminds me of how little has changed from suppliers like 3D Systems in over 20 years. It also includes much of the same hype that still hasn't reached the masses, like that tidbit on cosmetic surgery.

      It's more evidence of how patents tend to stifle innovation when management decides to just sit on things vs push on to the next challenge.

      Direct link to the youtube video:

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic