7739Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: patents? You haven't seen anything yet...

  • Jon Elson
    Nov 25, 2012
      Kenneth Lerman wrote:

      > One thing I noticed in the complaint was a section saying that there
      > was no non-infringing use of the allegedly infringing device. Since
      > the patent under discussion seems to relate to exposure for supports,
      > it is clear that making objects that don't require support would be a
      > non-infringing use.
      The specific patent they refer to by number deals with some kind of
      partial hardening
      of the resin to support overhangs. I'm not sure if that partially
      hardened stuff is later
      dissolved, scraped away, or hardens completely later. But, it seems to
      deal with
      a very specific concept that I doubt formlabs is using. So, at least to
      my reading,
      it is not dealing with ordinary support structures, but something more
      specialized
      to support overhangs WITHOUT dedicated support structure from the bottom
      up. This directing the court to a SPECIFIC patent, while only mentioning
      that there are others, might be enough to scotch the whole suit. (I
      hope so,
      but I'm NOT a lawyer.)