7708Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] patents? You haven't seen anything yet... [1 Attachment]

  • Jon Elson
    Nov 22, 2012
      Graham Stabler wrote:

      Thanks, Graham! This seems to be the operative claim of infringement.

      > 17. Upon information and belief, Formlabs and it sales agent
      > Kickstarter knew or
      > should have known about, or were willfully blind to, 3D Systems'
      > extensive patent rights in the
      > area of three-dimensional printing and stereolithography, including
      > but not limited to 3D
      > Systems' U.S. Patent No. 5,597,520 covering improved methods of
      > stereolithographically
      > forming a three-dimensional object by forming cross-sectional layers
      > of an object from a
      > material capable of physical transformation upon exposure to
      > synergistic stimulation, by virtue
      > of their sales of machines touted by Formlabs as using
      > "stereolithography (SL) technology,"
      > which is a technology invented and extensively patented by 3D Systems
      > and its founder Charles
      > Hull.
      But, if formlabs is not doing this partial cure trick, then it seems the
      whole suit
      is invalid, just my reading of it.