      From: johnrpm@... <johnrpm@...>
      Subject: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Inkjet Cartridge Manipulation
      To: diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, May 18, 2009, 2:43 PM

      Thanks for the info, sorry if this is an old topic, as a new member of the group I have been reading through posts.
      I fully agree with your comments, the reason I have reservations on printheads is the material they can deliver, if say we had a binder that gave a very strong part ( as monolite claim) and was high viscosity, the printhead may not deliver it, whereas a low velocity injector perhaps could, this would mean a low cost powder or even sand could be used, (recycled materials) also what is the life of a print head, I recently dismantled an old actua, and have the print head which feeds wax as well as lots of usefull bits from it so will look into this at some point. the borders of each slice define the part and the rest is infil (zcorp prints dense borders and lower density infill)this is why am thinking the plotter appraoch could work, although slower.

      > I've been busy with a bunch of projects but would be happy to
      > collaborate with someone that is actually capable of doing some work.
      What did you have in mind, I to have some projects to finish but am interested?.

      --- In diy_3d_printing_ and_fabrication@ yahoogroups. com, Henry Liu <henryjliu@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
      > R280 printer. To answer the OP's question which I see is back from
      > Feb, you can google "POSAM inkjet" and there is all the information
      > you need to drive the Epson heads. You just clock the data in serial,
      > latch it and it fires. In my previous posts, I explained why only the
      > epson piezoelectric print heads are worth hacking.
      >
      > As for making the xyz, it's way easier/cheaper to recycle the
      > electronics/ drives from the printer or other sources. Building a fast
      > linear slide isn't easy because the acceleration is quite high when
      > the head is at rest. 1200dpi is less than .0001" which is out of spec
      > for most CNC machines. I already have a 6 axis robotic arm and a .1um
      > XYZ so no need for me to reinvent the wheel. I made my own sherline
      > cnc mill and lathe with mach3 and it definitely isn't easy getting
      > better than .001" accuracy without a linear encoder and a lot (many
      > hours) of alignment work.
      >
      > I've been busy with a bunch of projects but would be happy to
      > collaborate with someone that is actually capable of doing some work.
      > I tried soliciting interest before but got no takers. I'm going to
      > wait until fall semester then assign a grad student or something to it
      > lol.
      >
      > Good luck,
      > Henry
      >
      > On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:00 AM, johnrpm@... <johnrpm@... > wrote:
      > >

      > > I joined this group recently because this subject fascinates me, I played
      > > around a couple of years ago with making a 3d printer but other projects
      > > seem to take over, but you guys have rekindled the flame, when doing
      > > searches I came across raster image processors which I think are basically
      > > printer drivers, the thought of trying to write one makes my eyes glaze
      > > over, but is this the way to go???.
      > > I have been leaning towards using reprap skeinforge to produce Gcode and
      > > mach3 to drive a plotter based system but can not let go of a print head
      > > system.
      > >
      > > anyway here is a link to some print head hacks
      > > http://spritesmods. com/?art= inker
      > >
      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_ and_fabrication@ yahoogroups. com, "gsi11135"
      > > <gsi11135@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Direct control of the inkjet head is, in my estimation, a key
      > >> component in obtaining good results. What is the process in applying
      > >> timing information to digital logic? IIRC, there is someone who did
      > >> some reverse engineering of the printer electronics and not just the
      > >> inkjet head.
      > >>
      > >> I can think of some inherent disadvantages to the parallel kinematic
      > >> setup yet I do not think that they are deal breakers. One off the top
      > >> of my head: limited space for a model and other equipment making the
      > >> design more complex for refilling the bins...provided you use the same
      > >> powder matrix as has been described here.
      > >>
      > >> There are some advantages too. Fast movement and errors in the arm
      > >> lengths can be compensated for down to the 100s of microns level are two.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic