525Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Inkjet Cartridge Manipulation

  • Henry Liu
    May 18, 2009
      That information seems to be completely absorbed into the book Inkjet
      Applications: http://www.amazon.com/Inkjet-Applications-Matt-Gilliland/dp/0972015930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242664514&sr=8-1

      I bought this book and it tells you everything you want to know about
      driving an HP inkjet head. Parallax made a serial inkjet printer that
      was easy to use but finding the cartridge holder now is difficult.

      Gcode isn't going to work very well for inkjet printing. There's way
      too much information. Writing the firmware to control the inkjet
      heads isn't a problem and relatively simple but writing the drivers to
      interface from windows is a big deal.

      I was making my own projects with some good progress using an Epson
      R280 printer. To answer the OP's question which I see is back from
      Feb, you can google "POSAM inkjet" and there is all the information
      you need to drive the Epson heads. You just clock the data in serial,
      latch it and it fires. In my previous posts, I explained why only the
      epson piezoelectric print heads are worth hacking.

      As for making the xyz, it's way easier/cheaper to recycle the
      electronics/drives from the printer or other sources. Building a fast
      linear slide isn't easy because the acceleration is quite high when
      the head is at rest. 1200dpi is less than .0001" which is out of spec
      for most CNC machines. I already have a 6 axis robotic arm and a .1um
      XYZ so no need for me to reinvent the wheel. I made my own sherline
      cnc mill and lathe with mach3 and it definitely isn't easy getting
      better than .001" accuracy without a linear encoder and a lot (many
      hours) of alignment work.

      I've been busy with a bunch of projects but would be happy to
      collaborate with someone that is actually capable of doing some work.
      I tried soliciting interest before but got no takers. I'm going to
      wait until fall semester then assign a grad student or something to it
      lol.

      Good luck,
      Henry

      On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:00 AM, johnrpm@... <johnrpm@...> wrote:

      > I joined this group recently because this subject fascinates me, I played
      > around a couple of years ago with making a 3d printer but other projects
      > seem to take over, but you guys have rekindled the flame, when doing
      > searches I came across raster image processors which I think are basically
      > printer drivers, the thought of trying to write one makes my eyes glaze
      > over, but is this the way to go???.
      > I have been leaning towards using reprap skeinforge to produce Gcode and
      > mach3 to drive a plotter based system but can not let go of a print head
      > system.
      >
      > anyway here is a link to some print head hacks
      > http://spritesmods.com/?art=inker
      >
      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "gsi11135"
      > <gsi11135@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Direct control of the inkjet head is, in my estimation, a key
      >> component in obtaining good results. What is the process in applying
      >> timing information to digital logic? IIRC, there is someone who did
      >> some reverse engineering of the printer electronics and not just the
      >> inkjet head.
      >>
      >> I can think of some inherent disadvantages to the parallel kinematic
      >> setup yet I do not think that they are deal breakers. One off the top
      >> of my head: limited space for a model and other equipment making the
      >> design more complex for refilling the bins...provided you use the same
      >> powder matrix as has been described here.
      >>
      >> There are some advantages too. Fast movement and errors in the arm
      >> lengths can be compensated for down to the 100s of microns level are two.
      >>
      >> CNC capability would be an added bonus.
      >>
      >> Anyone have any ideas?
      >>
      >> Joseph
      >> Moderator/Owner
      >>
      >> --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Boman33"
      >> <boman33@> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > Interesting thought!
      >> >
      >> > I suggest though splitting the project cleanly into two parts:
      >> >

      >> > Direct control and printing of the cartridge:
      >> >
      >> > I would base that design on a simple Constant speed straight linear
      >> movement
      >> > of the cartridge. It would be easy to test using various straight line
      >> > movement of either the head or the paper under it. The goal would be
      >> > printing clean text and pictures assuming a constant speed movement
      >> of the
      >> > head.
      >> >

      >> > 3-D printing:
      >> >
      >> > There are many designs for 3-D milling that could be applied.
      >> >
      >> > The starting point could be to use an existing CNC milling machine.
      >> There
      >> > is lots of software available both commercially and free for that
      >> task. A
      >> > further improvement would be to add a fourth axis to the milling
      >> machine to
      >> > tilt the cartridge left-right to match the surface being printed. A
      >> little
      >> > trickier but the free software exists it to add a 5th axis for
> [...]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic