524Re: Inkjet Cartridge Manipulation

  • johnrpm@ymail.com
    May 18, 2009
      I joined this group recently because this subject fascinates me, I played around a couple of years ago with making a 3d printer but other projects seem to take over, but you guys have rekindled the flame, when doing searches I came across raster image processors which I think are basically printer drivers, the thought of trying to write one makes my eyes glaze over, but is this the way to go???.
      I have been leaning towards using reprap skeinforge to produce Gcode and mach3 to drive a plotter based system but can not let go of a print head system.

      anyway here is a link to some print head hacks
      http://spritesmods.com/?art=inker

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "gsi11135" <gsi11135@...> wrote:

      > Direct control of the inkjet head is, in my estimation, a key
      > component in obtaining good results. What is the process in applying
      > timing information to digital logic? IIRC, there is someone who did
      > some reverse engineering of the printer electronics and not just the
      > inkjet head.
      >
      > I can think of some inherent disadvantages to the parallel kinematic
      > setup yet I do not think that they are deal breakers. One off the top
      > of my head: limited space for a model and other equipment making the
      > design more complex for refilling the bins...provided you use the same
      > powder matrix as has been described here.
      >
      > There are some advantages too. Fast movement and errors in the arm
      > lengths can be compensated for down to the 100s of microns level are two.
      >
      > CNC capability would be an added bonus.
      >
      > Anyone have any ideas?
      >
      > Joseph
      > Moderator/Owner
      >
      > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Boman33"
      > <boman33@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Interesting thought!
      > >
      > > I suggest though splitting the project cleanly into two parts:
      > >

      > > Direct control and printing of the cartridge:
      > >
      > > I would base that design on a simple Constant speed straight linear
      > movement
      > > of the cartridge. It would be easy to test using various straight line
      > > movement of either the head or the paper under it. The goal would be
      > > printing clean text and pictures assuming a constant speed movement
      > of the
      > > head.
      > >

      > > 3-D printing:
      > >
      > > There are many designs for 3-D milling that could be applied.
      > >
      > > The starting point could be to use an existing CNC milling machine.
      > There
      > > is lots of software available both commercially and free for that
      > task. A
      > > further improvement would be to add a fourth axis to the milling
      > machine to
      > > tilt the cartridge left-right to match the surface being printed. A
      > little
      > > trickier but the free software exists it to add a 5th axis for
      > tilting the
      > > cartridge up-down.
      > >

      > > Printing would be no different than milling the surface while
      > feeding the
      > > cartridge with the proper data stream.
      > >
      > > Bertho
      > >

      > > From: gsi11135 Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 01:26
      > >

      > > Has anyone delved into the fine art of controlling the inkjet cartridge?
      > >
      > > I know on the PCB inkjet yahoo group at least one individual has used
      > > FPGAs to perform the timing of the inkjet firing. Another group member
      > > here has done something similar with CPLDs.
      > >
      > > How would you design a 3 axis control system? Are there any other
      > > designs? What sorts of mechanical design elements have you all thought
      > > of? I was thinking of developing a parallel kinematic robot with an
> [...]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic