449Re: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Re: Your thoughts please

  • Aaron Osmer
    Mar 10, 2009
          If you lay the powder down first, it would decrease the chance of the roller bumping up and down slightly while you're laying down the layer, which would make the layer uneven.  If you lay it down while the roller is going a constant velocity, as apposed to starting and stopping as you would while printing, it will make the layer much more smooth to begin with, and there is little chance of it becoming dislodged later.  If you can keep the roller from vibrating with the jerking of the lead screw, it should be fine to lay down the layers live.
          As for heating, it depends on your binder and how it makes the powder cement.  With ink, a heating element helps evaporate the water in the ink, thereby crystallizing the powder.  However, I'm not sure if a heating element would help with toner, as the toner becomes malleable when heated, which is what the lasers in the printer are for, so you would want to cool it down, wouldn't you?  Not quite sure how yours works, I could be completely wrong, I'll look at your project details in a bit so I can stop guessing at your design.

      -Aaron

      snowmackenzie wrote:

      Hi Kevin
      It is in the files under Snow's Project.

      The printer that i'm using is a A3 one. It has ordernery Motor (Maybe Servos) with encoder feedback on both (I bet that will be a issue later). As the carriage assy is getting heavy i have to uprate the motor size and electronic drive as well.
      I was looking at using a Geko drive do do this as i have some. But i could also build one myself.
      The issue with this is i have to check to see how the HP printer works. Hopefully it detects the Y position (paperFeed) before it in gauges the X motor (Printer carriage). If it does then i can program a chip to to the ramping up/down PWM on a Tan cerve error rate difference. EG it add the pulses comming in and the encoder minuses the count of the comming in pulses. This them gives me a error figure to pass into a Tan logratham to set up the PWM that drives the Y motor.But from playing around with the geko drive I'm pretty sure it does something simular (Famous last words). But it all hinges on HP electronics that it waits so the paper to be in position before it starts the carriage....
      Thanks
      Snow

      --- In diy_3d_printing_ and_fabrication@ yahoogroups. com, Kevin Hawkinson <khawki02@.. .> wrote:

      > Which pictures are yours?
      > The new Z-corp machines are heated inside to facilitate drying, so obviously
      > someone thinks it helps.
      >
      > For stepper ramp rate control, Lin Engineering has an awesome solution with
      > the Trinamic TMCM-310 3-axis controller.
      > I'm not gonna shill for the product, so I'll just say that I was impressed
      > enough to put my hard-earned dollars down on one.
      >
      > -Kevin H
      >
      > On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM, snowmackenzie <no1toolman@ ...>wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Aaron
      > > Thanks heaps for the reply. I hadn't thought about the rigidity of the
      > > printer. You definitely have a valid point there. I might have to have a bit
      > > more of a draw up and post a picture of the printing assy. If I laid the
      > > powder down first then there wouldn't be so much of a issue of the powder
      > > moving around before it got some binding solution on it to hold it together,
      > > would this be correct? Also I could use a heating to decrease the drying
      > > time. But I don't know if it would help much. Did you have a look at my
      > > pictures I posted?
      > >
      > > Snow

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic