417Re: Inkjet Cartridge Manipulation

  • gsi11135
    Feb 18, 2009
      Direct control of the inkjet head is, in my estimation, a key
      component in obtaining good results. What is the process in applying
      timing information to digital logic? IIRC, there is someone who did
      some reverse engineering of the printer electronics and not just the
      inkjet head.

      I can think of some inherent disadvantages to the parallel kinematic
      setup yet I do not think that they are deal breakers. One off the top
      of my head: limited space for a model and other equipment making the
      design more complex for refilling the bins...provided you use the same
      powder matrix as has been described here.

      There are some advantages too. Fast movement and errors in the arm
      lengths can be compensated for down to the 100s of microns level are two.

      CNC capability would be an added bonus.

      Anyone have any ideas?

      Joseph
      Moderator/Owner

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "Boman33"
      <boman33@...> wrote:

      > Interesting thought!
      >
      > I suggest though splitting the project cleanly into two parts:
      >

      > Direct control and printing of the cartridge:
      >
      > I would base that design on a simple Constant speed straight linear
      movement
      > of the cartridge. It would be easy to test using various straight line
      > movement of either the head or the paper under it. The goal would be
      > printing clean text and pictures assuming a constant speed movement
      of the
      > head.
      >

      > 3-D printing:
      >
      > There are many designs for 3-D milling that could be applied.
      >
      > The starting point could be to use an existing CNC milling machine.
      There
      > is lots of software available both commercially and free for that
      task. A
      > further improvement would be to add a fourth axis to the milling
      machine to
      > tilt the cartridge left-right to match the surface being printed. A
      little
      > trickier but the free software exists it to add a 5th axis for
      tilting the
      > cartridge up-down.
      >

      > Printing would be no different than milling the surface while
      feeding the
      > cartridge with the proper data stream.
      >
      > Bertho
      >

      > From: gsi11135 Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 01:26
      >

      > Has anyone delved into the fine art of controlling the inkjet cartridge?
      >
      > I know on the PCB inkjet yahoo group at least one individual has used
      > FPGAs to perform the timing of the inkjet firing. Another group member
      > here has done something similar with CPLDs.
      >
      > How would you design a 3 axis control system? Are there any other
      > designs? What sorts of mechanical design elements have you all thought
      > of? I was thinking of developing a parallel kinematic robot with an
      > inkjet head for printing out 3D objects.
      >
      > Joseph
      > Moderator/Owner

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic