414RE: [diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication] Inkjet Cartridge Manipulation

  • Boman33
    Feb 13 11:18 PM

      Interesting thought!

      I suggest though splitting the project cleanly into two parts:

      Direct control and printing of the cartridge:

      I would base that design on a simple Constant speed straight linear movement of the cartridge.  It would be easy to test using various straight line movement of either the head or the paper under it.  The goal would be printing clean text and pictures assuming a constant speed movement of the head.

      3-D printing:

      There are many designs for 3-D milling that could be applied.

      The starting point could be to use an existing CNC milling machine.  There is lots of software available both commercially and free for that task.  A further improvement would be to add a fourth axis to the milling machine to tilt the cartridge left-right to match the surface being printed.  A little trickier but the free software exists it to add a 5th axis for tilting the cartridge up-down.

      Printing would be no different than milling the surface while feeding the cartridge with the proper data stream.

      Bertho

      From: gsi11135    Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 01:26

      Has anyone delved into the fine art of controlling the inkjet cartridge?

      I know on the PCB inkjet yahoo group at least one individual has used
      FPGAs to perform the timing of the inkjet firing. Another group member
      here has done something similar with CPLDs.

      How would you design a 3 axis control system? Are there any other
      designs? What sorts of mechanical design elements have you all thought
      of? I was thinking of developing a parallel kinematic robot with an
      inkjet head for printing out 3D objects.

      Joseph
      Moderator/Owner

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic