3572Re: Inkjet Cartridge Manipulation

  • cheahmeng6692
    Sep 15, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm planning to direct control the printer cartridge for 3d printing as well...however, if I plan to use the HP 51604a cartridge as what is taught in the book, Then I doubting the lifespan of the cartridge itself and the availability of the cartridge. As you all know, the printer compatible to the cartridge is somehow 20 years old...I worry that I cannot buy new cartridge after few more years.

      Even though the ink inside the cartridge can be refill, but how about the lifespan of the resistors and heating plate of the cartridge? I tried to direct control HP 21 cartridge but it doesn't went well... is anyone here know how is the description of the pinouts???

      --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, Henry Liu <henryjliu@...> wrote:

      > That information seems to be completely absorbed into the book Inkjet
      > Applications: http://www.amazon.com/Inkjet-Applications-Matt-Gilliland/dp/0972015930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242664514&sr=8-1
      >
      > I bought this book and it tells you everything you want to know about
      > driving an HP inkjet head. Parallax made a serial inkjet printer that
      > was easy to use but finding the cartridge holder now is difficult.
      >
      > Gcode isn't going to work very well for inkjet printing. There's way
      > too much information. Writing the firmware to control the inkjet
      > heads isn't a problem and relatively simple but writing the drivers to
      > interface from windows is a big deal.
      >
      > I was making my own projects witPOSAM inkjeth some good progress using an Epson
      > R280 printer. To answer the OP's question which I see is back from
      > Feb, you can google "" and there is all the information
      > you need to drive the Epson heads. You just clock the data in serial,
      > latch it and it fires. In my previous posts, I explained why only the
      > epson piezoelectric print heads are worth hacking.
      >
      > As for making the xyz, it's way easier/cheaper to recycle the
      > electronics/drives from the printer or other sources. Building a fast
      > linear slide isn't easy because the acceleration is quite high when
      > the head is at rest. 1200dpi is less than .0001" which is out of spec
      > for most CNC machines. I already have a 6 axis robotic arm and a .1um
      > XYZ so no need for me to reinvent the wheel. I made my own sherline
      > cnc mill and lathe with mach3 and it definitely isn't easy getting
      > better than .001" accuracy without a linear encoder and a lot (many
      > hours) of alignment work.
      >
      > I've been busy with a bunch of projects but would be happy to
      > collaborate with someone that is actually capable of doing some work.
      > I tried soliciting interest before but got no takers. I'm going to
      > wait until fall semester then assign a grad student or something to it
      > lol.
      >
      > Good luck,
      > Henry
      >
      > On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:00 AM, johnrpm@... <johnrpm@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > I joined this group recently because this subject fascinates me, I played
      > > around a couple of years ago with making a 3d printer but other projects
      > > seem to take over, but you guys have rekindled the flame, when doing
      > > searches I came across raster image processors which I think are basically
      > > printer drivers, the thought of trying to write one makes my eyes glaze
      > > over, but is this the way to go???.
      > > I have been leaning towards using reprap skeinforge to produce Gcode and
      > > mach3 to drive a plotter based system but can not let go of a print head
      > > system.
      > >
      > > anyway here is a link to some print head hacks
      > > http://spritesmods.com/?art=inker
      > >
      > > --- In diy_3d_printing_and_fabrication@yahoogroups.com, "gsi11135"
      > > <gsi11135@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Direct control of the inkjet head is, in my estimation, a key
> [...]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic