RE: [divineoffice] Re: Weeks After Trinity/Weeks After Pentecost

  • Paul Goings
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011

      Mark,

      I use those other resources regularly, but never to pray the Offices directly. My eyes can't take trying to read that much on my BlackBerry and I don't yet have a Kindle or iPad. Printing it all is too wasteful in my opinion.

      But my solution admittedly has its own difficulties. Yes, it needs someone with some expertise to work things out initially, but not to use the materials. And, hopefully, as time goes on they'll be more complete, and even more user-friendly.

      Ideally the one-volume 1962 all-English breviary would be reprinted, which would make things simpler for those who use the E.F. exclusively. I think that the Baronius reprint is unfortunate, except as a reference. The English is clunky in many places, and if you just want Latin, the N&V are very good printings.

      Paul Goings

      Philadelphia, PA

      From: "Mark Forster" <mf@...>

      Sender: divineoffice@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 16:29:32 +0100

      To: <divineoffice@yahoogroups.com>

      ReplyTo: divineoffice@yahoogroups.com

      The Anglican Breviary conforms to the BCP Gospel and Collect for Sundays and these frequently differ from the Roman ones. The period between Pentecost and Advent is complicated by having some material which relates to the Sunday after Pentecost and some material which relates to the Week of the Month.

      My advice if you are going to use the Anglican Breviary would be to stick to what it says and forget trying to conform it to Roman use.

      Best wishes,

      Mark

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011

        Thanks, Paul.

        I guess the main use for the Baronius Breviary would be for those who want to pray the Breviary in Latin, but whose Latin isn't good enough to pray it without a crib. The English translation in that case would only be secondary.

        For those whose Latin is good enough to pray the Office without a crib the N&V would obviously be suitable.

        Best wishes,

        Mark

        But there's something weird in the AB where, for at least awhile, you need to be two weeks off to conform to the Roman useage. Do you know what I'm referring to?

        --- In divineoffice@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Forster" <mf@...> wrote:

        > Trinity Sunday is the Sunday after Pentecost so your formula is correct,
        > e.g. 10 after Trinity = 11 after Pentecost.
        >

        > Best wishes,
        >

        > Mark

      • Lewis Whitaker