Let the buyer beware

  • Sean & Kenra Reed
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010

      J.M.J.

      If you know of anyone who might be interested in an original copy of the Anglican Breviary, please have them be cautious about:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200455130937&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1119wt_1167

      While this original copy looks to be in good condition, the whole context for value implies a higher market value for the product, by saying:  "With copies of the 1998 reprint going for $300 on some websites,
      now you can own an original for the same price!  Bid high and early, or BUY IT NOW!"

      I wrote to him about my concern, and his attitude was amazing:

      I wrote:

      Dear romanist,

      Good luck with selling it for this much. I think you are misleading
      people as the person who makes the reprints sells them for $65
      http://www.anglicanbreviary.net/

      - swrdispr

      and he wrote back:

      Dear swrdispr,

      I demand an apology. I never denied the existence of Mr. Lula's site, or that his official price is $65.00 US--if you read the listing carefully, it only refers to "some websites."

      Here's an example of a reprint (note the marker ribbons and the black leather in the description) going for $200.00:

      http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/ListingDetails?bi=1370500929

      I have seen other listings where a reprint was priced at $300.

      I'm not misleading anyone, and you should apologize.

      - romanist

      Since he knows the market value of what Daniel sells them for, I am amazed at his defiant attitude about the market value of the reprints of the Anglican Breviary by which he supports his price for his original copy.

      I fear he will be waiting for some time for my apology for questioning him.  Caveat emptor!

      SWR

    • Michele
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        Greetings all,

        I looked at the example of the webpage selling a "reprint" for $200.00.

        It looks, however, that this is an original from 1955. There is no mention that this example book is a reprint.

        The response from the auction seller is a bit bristly, I think

        Peace,
        Michele

        and he wrote back:

[...]

      • BOB KOSSLER
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
          Dear Sean and Kenra,
          I also wrote him. I sent Mark my posting. I owned an original printing, which my two Welsh Terriers destroyed. I asked about the quality and told him that after spending $200 on my new, original edition, I was not willing to spend what he was asking.

          I now have a copy that is hard to use. But, I wish you and everyone on this list blessings this Easter Season.

          Bob+