Re: [divineoffice] Re: When do you say the Divine Office?

  • Scott Knitter
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2005
      I understand this more and more every time I try to pray the AB office in full on any given day.  It really is just too much to handle for me in particular.  Even racing through the texts (as I hate to do), I spent an hour and a half this morning on Matins, Lauds, and Prime.  I'd rather have less material and more time to contemplate it and reflect in silence.

      On 10/8/05, JamesEHicksVI@... <JamesEHicksVI@...> wrote:
      When Cranmer put together the first English BCP, the idea was to simplify the 8 daily hours into 2, Mattins and Evensong, which would be doable for many people. He and those working with him understood that the eight-fold Office was simply too much for those out of the monastery.

      For those of us who attempt it, it needs to be accepted that it IS a bit much.  Sometimes we can, some times we can't.  If one can pray Morning Prayer from the BCP, fit in Sext at noon, Evening Prayer or the AB Vespers, then end the day with Compline, that is a lot for most working people. Even many religious only pray Lauds, Vespers and Compline.

      The idea is to be regular with your prayers.   If you have "down" time during the summer, vacations, or around the Holidays, then you might want to pray all of the Hours.  But setting aside time in the morning and/or evening and being regular with it, is the most important.

      Jim Hicks

      Prayer shawl Prayer card Prayer beads
      Christianity Prayer boxes Prayer promise

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --
      Scott R. Knitter
      Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2005
        --- In divineoffice@yahoogroups.com, "setorichard"
        <richard.seto@s...> wrote:
        >Greetings!
        I am a new member to divineoffice@yahoogroups.com.
        I prayed the Anglican Breviary for 8 months last year(2004),
        The binding was coming undone
        and I thought I had acquired a "lemon", until I read the messages
        at Yahoo groups, I subsequently donated my 2004 AB to Gethsemini
        Cathedral in Fargo, North Dakota for their historic book library.
        I have recently ordered another AB.In regard to praying the "full"
        office, I pray Matins/lauds at
        night approx. 8pm, Prime,terce,sext,none, upon arising in the
        mornings and Vespers/Compline at Sunset. I have found no other
        office that is as spiritually resourceful as the AB. I do not know
        if this arrangement is offical, I am a former RC, now Episcopal
        and would like to know if the above schedule is O.K.
        Peace

        > Just a word of advice: Please don't beat yourselves over the head
        > about not being able to recite the full office!!!! Remember the
        > breviary, Anglican or otherwise in its fullest form is intended for
        > those who pray professionally ie. ordained clergy or those under
        > religious vows. For the rest of us, do what is manageable as
        prayer
        > is supposed to enhance and enrich ones life not make it unmanagable.
        >
        > Maybe sticking to a regular habit reciting compline would not only
        be
        > reasonable, but also give the heart and soul a fixed point of
        > reference at the end of each day.
        >
        > The fact that people are willing to pray the office in a world so
        > occupied by trivialities is a big step in the right direction.
        It's
        > quality that counts, not quantity.
        >

        > Pax
        >
        > --- In divineoffice@yahoogroups.com, "jimwilinski"
        <jimwilinski@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > --- In divineoffice@yahoogroups.com, John O'Sullivan
        <jjostm@g...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > I know how you feel. Between working 10+ hour days, preparing a
        > > wedding,
        > > > doing the podcast, eating, doing household chores, and
        > > sleeping...I simply
        > > > do not have the time to do the entire Office...much to my
        > > detriment.
        > > >
        > > > Lately, every morning, I've been praying the psalms appointed
        for
        > > the day as
        > > > per the BCP, along with the readings of Scripture (according to
        > > the 1662
        > > > Lectionary), the Collect for the day, prayer of St. John
        > > Chrysostom, and
        > > > Sarcosanctae (along with the Angelus at noon). At the very
        least,
        > > I get the
        > > > entire psalter prayed every month...along with some quiet time
        for
        > > > extemporaneous prayer.
        > > >
        > > > The one good thing about the time I commuted to Manhattan daily
        > > was the fact
        > > > that I was able to say the Offices of the Breviary while on the
        > > train. It's
        > > > the *only* thing I miss about that horrific commute.
        > > >
        > > > -j

        > > time,
        > > end up
        > > of the
        > the
        > > week at the hospital and I will combine the hours spreading them
        > out
        > > in a , fivefold way. @1700 hrs I pray Compline,Matins [Vigils],
        and
        > > Lauds together. Then during my hour breaktime @ 0200 hrs I pray
        > > Prime,the capitular office,Terce, followed by Lectio (The Dry
        Mass
        > > using the Anglican Missal with propers for the day.] When I am
        done
        > > with work at 0700 hrs go home retire and sleep wake up at 1330
        hrs
        > > and pray Sext and None with the Angelus. Then during the
        afternoon
        > > till 1600 due my household chores check the internet then after
        > 1600
        > > hrs I pray Vespers. I do my personel prayers during the
        recitation
        > > of compline and prime. It may sound crazy, but it works out for
        me
        > > with balancing my personal life and relationships and enjoying my
        > > day off. This schedule will probally not work out for others.
        With
        > > life and whatever obligations you have you just got to due the
        best
        > > you can. Peace and all Good. Happy belated St. Francis all lovers
        > of
        > > the Franciscan Way.

        Terms
        > of

        > > > --
        > > > john j. o'sullivan
        > > > jjostm@g...
        > > >
        > > > i'm john j. o'sullivan and i approved this message.

      • setorichard
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21, 2005
          First things first: you are to be congratulated in maintaining such a
          rigorous and consistent schedule of offices. From what I can see it
          is indeed an excellent regimen!!!!. For my part I generally can only
          manage matins on weekends or major feasts. As for the other offices
          I follow a schedule almost identical to yours althought I recite
          lauds at around midnight, sometimes manage to recite the sext and
          none at their traditional times depending upon how I think the work
          day will shape up.

          All in all I have found that the Office keeps life's focus in its
          proper place.

          Pax

          --- In divineoffice@yahoogroups.com, "littlebrianmike" <shatner@w...>