Hi! I'm Kendra. I'm new.

  • nanacrumble
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
      I can not believe this web-site exists, it is a
      miracle! I am a graduate student at a small Colorado
      college in a small Colorado town, and there are mabey 20
      people here who have read La Commedia, and in their
      youth no doubt! For the past two years I have been
      studying Inferno for my graduate thesis, but also have
      become engulfed in all three canticles. Yes, I strongly
      agree that only by understanding the stucture of
      Dante's whole work, can one even begin to absorb the
      symbolism in Inferno.<br> I am also humbled to be speaking
      to a Dante scholar and a Catholic religous worker,
      for I am neither a scholor nor a devout Christian.
      What the two of you can teach me from your experiences
      with Dante seems incredible to me.<br> What I hope I
      can add is my Art Historical background, which ranges
      form South Pacific to Grecco Roman to Asian art. In
      all these cultures my research has focused on how
      each spiritual/ religous world view is expressed
      through art, usually focusing on mythical cycles and
      patterns.<br> When I ran across the Commedy, the scope of
      Dantes knowledge of mythical creatures from so many
      cultures was overwhelming. More amazing was how they
      became allegorical for vitue and vice, yet retained
      their earlier pagan integrity. Their corresponding
      myths were not appropriated or inverted, but integrated
      by the thousands into his epic poem. Its almost like
      he digested Virgil's Aenied to the point of
      sublimation. I have never been so struck by anyones
      genius!<br> Sorry if I get carried away. An informed
      conversation about Dante is hard to find in my corner of the
      world!<br> Does anyone know if there have been any films,
      theatrical works, or written plays, etc. based on the
      Comedy?
    • yamamushi2001
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 23 4:29 PM
        I have just started reading The Devine Comedy, and I think it's pretty cool so far.
      • nanacrumble
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 23 5:52 PM
          Hi yamamushi, I'm Maralyn 7. How far have you read? Past Inferno?
        • yamamushi2001
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24 12:08 PM
            Actualy, I'm not even that far yet. I'm about done with canto XXVI. on Inferno
          • nanacrumble
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24 2:40 PM
              What do you think so far? I'm doing my grad
              thesis on Inferno Cantos 1 thru 4, and even these 4
              cantos are packed with symbols and references up the
              wazoo. With Inferno, its the slower the better.<br> You
              are the only other person currently chatting on this
              site, so I hope you don't mind my questions. What do
              you think of the overall organization Dante created
              for sin, in terms of the inner/outer Dis, Malebolge,
              Cocytus, etc. It would be great to here another opinion.