Members-

  • dr_byrnes
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 15, 2001
      Well, we have more members, perhaps we should
      start a little more dialog. I'm glad there are enough
      people in the world, and on yahoo, to start a club that
      concerns all of La Divina Commedia, rather than just
      Inferno. Start a topic whenver you want, I'd be glad to
      give my opinion on certain part of the work, and to
      hear your opinions as well. Ciao<br><br>Dr. Byrnes
    • admthom777
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 24, 2001
        Wherever you are in the world have a Joyful Holiday Season
      • nanacrumble
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2002
          I can not believe this web-site exists, it is a
          miracle! I am a graduate student at a small Colorado
          college in a small Colorado town, and there are mabey 20
          people here who have read La Commedia, and in their
          youth no doubt! For the past two years I have been
          studying Inferno for my graduate thesis, but also have
          become engulfed in all three canticles. Yes, I strongly
          agree that only by understanding the stucture of
          Dante's whole work, can one even begin to absorb the
          symbolism in Inferno.<br> I am also humbled to be speaking
          to a Dante scholar and a Catholic religous worker,
          for I am neither a scholor nor a devout Christian.
          What the two of you can teach me from your experiences
          with Dante seems incredible to me.<br> What I hope I
          can add is my Art Historical background, which ranges
          form South Pacific to Grecco Roman to Asian art. In
          all these cultures my research has focused on how
          each spiritual/ religous world view is expressed
          through art, usually focusing on mythical cycles and
          patterns.<br> When I ran across the Commedy, the scope of
          Dantes knowledge of mythical creatures from so many
          cultures was overwhelming. More amazing was how they
          became allegorical for vitue and vice, yet retained
          their earlier pagan integrity. Their corresponding
          myths were not appropriated or inverted, but integrated
          by the thousands into his epic poem. Its almost like
          he digested Virgil's Aenied to the point of
          sublimation. I have never been so struck by anyones
          genius!<br> Sorry if I get carried away. An informed
          conversation about Dante is hard to find in my corner of the
          world!<br> Does anyone know if there have been any films,
          theatrical works, or written plays, etc. based on the
          Comedy?
        • yamamushi2001
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 23, 2002
            I have just started reading The Devine Comedy, and I think it's pretty cool so far.
          • nanacrumble
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 23, 2002
              Hi yamamushi, I'm Maralyn 7. How far have you read? Past Inferno?
            • yamamushi2001
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2002
                Actualy, I'm not even that far yet. I'm about done with canto XXVI. on Inferno
              • nanacrumble
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24, 2002
                  What do you think so far? I'm doing my grad
                  thesis on Inferno Cantos 1 thru 4, and even these 4
                  cantos are packed with symbols and references up the
                  wazoo. With Inferno, its the slower the better.<br> You
                  are the only other person currently chatting on this
                  site, so I hope you don't mind my questions. What do
                  you think of the overall organization Dante created
                  for sin, in terms of the inner/outer Dis, Malebolge,
                  Cocytus, etc. It would be great to here another opinion.