New member seeks good biligual edition

  • mikeindex2001
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1 8:01 AM
      Hello there. I hope there is still someone out there as there
      doesn't seem to have been much activity on this list lately!

      I'm currently in the process of indexing the New Cambridge Companion
      to Dante for CUP and I am interested in reading the Divine Comedy,
      which I have never yet done. What I'd like ideally is to get hold of
      a good bilingual critical edition, with the original and a competent
      translation in parallel text and thorough and intelligent footnotes.
      Can someone recommend such a thing?

      I may add that I have never studied Italian (beyond picking up a bit
      listening to opera), but am fluent in French and pretty good in
      Latin, so I would hope to be able to follow the original with the aid
      of a translation but would stand little chance unaided.

      Am I right in thinking that Peter Dale has done a bilingual edition
      of the Divine Comedy? I have his Complete Poems of Francois Villon -
      my impression being that he's quite an ingenious translator but not
      much of a lyric poet. How does his Dante (if indeed it exists)
      compare with other versions?

      Looking forward to your views

      Mike
    • roncriss
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1 10:53 AM
        Mike,

        I don't have Dale's translation. I'm not aware of a bi-lingual
        translation, though I suppose its a possibility. As I understand it
        his translations of Dante are accurate, but there are some compaints
        that his attempt to render Dante's terza rima rhyming patterns in
        english has resulted in some rather forced and awkward translations
        which do not capture's Dante's freshness in the original.

        The version I ended up with, and the one I find most satisfying, is
        John Ciardi's translation. I also like the notes and, especially,
        the many diagrams included. Its not bi-lingual, but then I'm not
        reading for the scholarly purposes you are.

        Perhaps some of our other members would like to share their opinions?

        Ron

        --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com, "mikeindex2001"
        <alphabeticalorder@...> wrote:

        > Hello there. I hope there is still someone out there as there
        > doesn't seem to have been much activity on this list lately!
        >
        > I'm currently in the process of indexing the New Cambridge
        Companion
        > to Dante for CUP and I am interested in reading the Divine Comedy,
        > which I have never yet done. What I'd like ideally is to get hold
        of
        > a good bilingual critical edition, with the original and a
        competent
        > translation in parallel text and thorough and intelligent
        footnotes.
        > Can someone recommend such a thing?
        >
        > I may add that I have never studied Italian (beyond picking up a
        bit
        > listening to opera), but am fluent in French and pretty good in
        > Latin, so I would hope to be able to follow the original with the
        aid
        > of a translation but would stand little chance unaided.
        >
        > Am I right in thinking that Peter Dale has done a bilingual
        edition
        > of the Divine Comedy? I have his Complete Poems of Francois
        Villon -
        > my impression being that he's quite an ingenious translator but
        not
        > much of a lyric poet. How does his Dante (if indeed it exists)
        > compare with other versions?
        >
        > Looking forward to your views
        >
        > Mike

      • mikeindex2001
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3 3:13 AM
          Thanks very much Ron and David for your input. David, I've been to
          the site you mention and scanned portions of it with great interest,
          but for reading anything much above article length I much prefer old-
          fashioned paper. I may well buy the Ciardi and use the online
          version for referring back to (and comparing the translations).

          I was interested to read the comments Ron passed on regarding Dale's
          Dante as I would say exactly the same about his Villon.

          My purpose in reading Dante, though, is purely personal interest -
          the index will have to be done and dusted well before I can get hold
          of a copy of the poem or have time to read it (in fact I should be
          finishing it today, not frittering away my time on discussion lists).

          Looking forward to further discussions here when I have the time and
          knowledge

          Mike

          > Mike,
          >
          > I don't have Dale's translation. I'm not aware of a bi-lingual
          > translation, though I suppose its a possibility. As I understand it
          > his translations of Dante are accurate, but there are some
          compaints
          > that his attempt to render Dante's terza rima rhyming patterns in
          > english has resulted in some rather forced and awkward translations
          > which do not capture's Dante's freshness in the original.
          >
          > The version I ended up with, and the one I find most satisfying, is
          > John Ciardi's translation. I also like the notes and, especially,
          > the many diagrams included. Its not bi-lingual, but then I'm not
          > reading for the scholarly purposes you are.
          >
          > Perhaps some of our other members would like to share their
          opinions?

          > Ron
          >
          > --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com, "mikeindex2001"
          > <alphabeticalorder@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello there. I hope there is still someone out there as there
          > > doesn't seem to have been much activity on this list lately!
          > >
          > > I'm currently in the process of indexing the New Cambridge
          > Companion
          > > to Dante for CUP and I am interested in reading the Divine
          Comedy,
          > > which I have never yet done. What I'd like ideally is to get
          hold
          > of
          > > a good bilingual critical edition, with the original and a
          > competent
          > > translation in parallel text and thorough and intelligent
          > footnotes.
          > > Can someone recommend such a thing?
          > >
          > > I may add that I have never studied Italian (beyond picking up a
          > bit
          > > listening to opera), but am fluent in French and pretty good in
          > > Latin, so I would hope to be able to follow the original with the
          > aid
          > > of a translation but would stand little chance unaided.
          > >
          > > Am I right in thinking that Peter Dale has done a bilingual
          > edition
          > > of the Divine Comedy? I have his Complete Poems of Francois
          > Villon -
          > > my impression being that he's quite an ingenious translator but
          > not
          > > much of a lyric poet. How does his Dante (if indeed it exists)
          > > compare with other versions?
          > >
          > > Looking forward to your views
          > >
          > > Mike

        • roncriss
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 10 9:28 PM
            Mike, if you are still with us!

            I was just reading the Bibliographical Notes in the back of RWB
            Lewis' "Dante" and he mentions the Temple Classics edition of The
            Divina Commedia, which, he says, has "the Italian text and the
            English translation facing each other". I seached amazon.com and
            found many different "Temple Clasic" editions, many very reasonabley
            priced. One of these might be what you are looking for, but I would
            suggest emailing the seller before purchase to make sure the one
            they are selling really is bi-lingual. BTW, Lewis says this was the
            version recommended to him by Dino Cervigni and his "primary source".

            Ron

            --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com, "mikeindex2001" <mike@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > > footnotes.
            > > > Can someone recommend such a thing?
            > > >
            > > > I may add that I have never studied Italian (beyond picking up
            > > bit
            > > > listening to opera), but am fluent in French and pretty good
            in
            > > > Latin, so I would hope to be able to follow the original with
            the
            > > aid
            > > > of a translation but would stand little chance unaided.
            > > >
            > > > Am I right in thinking that Peter Dale has done a bilingual
            > > edition
            > > > of the Divine Comedy? I have his Complete Poems of Francois
            > > Villon -
            > > > my impression being that he's quite an ingenious translator
            but
            > > not
            > > > much of a lyric poet. How does his Dante (if indeed it exists)

          • roncriss
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10 10:09 PM
              Mike,

              And here are three online bi-lingual versions of the Comedia I
              stumbled upon accidentally:

              http://dante.ilt.columbia.edu/new/comedy/index.html

              Click the appropriate link on the left menu.

              Ron

              --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com, roncriss <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
              understand
              > it
              > > > his translations of Dante are accurate, but there are some
              > > compaints
              > > > that his attempt to render Dante's terza rima rhyming patterns
              > in
              > > > english has resulted in some rather forced and awkward
              > translations
              > > > which do not capture's Dante's freshness in the original.
              > > >
              > > > The version I ended up with, and the one I find most
              satisfying,
              > is
              > > > John Ciardi's translation. I also like the notes and,
              > especially,
              > > > the many diagrams included. Its not bi-lingual, but then I'm
              not
              > > > reading for the scholarly purposes you are.
              > > >
              > > > Perhaps some of our other members would like to share their

            • Mike Leach
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 13 2:03 AM
                Ron,

                Thanks very much for going to all this trouble for me. As a matter of
                fact I came across an online review of the Temple Classics edition which
                said the translation was very bad , and I've now bought the Sisson
                version (partly on economical grounds and partly because I've read one
                or two of Sisson's shorter translations and thought they were pretty fair.

                On reflection, though, I wish I'd bought a version in rhyme as I'm sure
                you can't get much of a flavour of the original without it.

                Anyway, thanks once again for your trouble.

                Mike

              • roncriss
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 13 11:58 AM
                  Mike,

                  According to RWB Lewis and Professor Dino Cervigni the Temple
                  Classics translation is the best. Of course there are always going
                  to be divergences of opinion as to a translation which, is, at best,
                  a paraphrase of sorts. In my opinion a literal translation is
                  preferable to one that attempts to force the translation into a
                  rhyming structure. To me this creates an uncomfortable and stilted
                  version. I would suggest that, for a bi-lingual version, the Temple
                  Classics should be sufficient, and I intend to purcahse a copy
                  myself in the future.

                  One of the most fascinating things about the Commedia is the number
                  of great authors and poets in their right who have been entranced by
                  it and created their own translation: Longfellow, Ciardi, Sayers,
                  etc. I'm already a fan of Longfellow and have portions of his
                  translation in a collection and would like to get the complete work
                  in the future.

                  Ron

                  --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com, Mike Leach <mike@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > Ron
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com
                  > > <mailto:divinacommedia%40yahoogroups.com>, "mikeindex2001"
                  <mike@>

                  > > > interest,
                  > > > old-

                  > > > Dale's

                  > > interest -
                  > > > hold
                  > > be
                  > > > lists).

                  > > > and

                  > > understand
                  > > > it
                  > > > in
                  > > > translations

                  > > satisfying,
                  > > > is
                  > > > especially,
                  I'm
                  > > not

                  > > <mailto:divinacommedia%40yahoogroups.com>, "mikeindex2001"

                  07/10/2006