Divine Comedy Theology Questions

  • Drew
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2005
      To All:

      I'm doing some research for a paper on Dante and his Divine Comedy. My
      main question concerns the theology of Limbo and the salvation of
      those died with no actual sin (babies) and without baptism. Dante
      places them in limbo which is a section of the damned in hell. However
      he places Cato, a Roman who committed suicide as a form of policitcal
      martyrdom, as the Guardian to Purgatory, the last to enter, and
      Rhipeus a Trojan considered to be the most righteous of his countrymen
      by Virgil in heaven. Where did Dante get his theology of limbo? Are
      there any Church documents that relate the general public and/or
      Church beliefs on these issues around the 1200's and 1300's or
      earlier? And how this belief has since been changed or defined? Thank
      you for your help.

      Drew

      catholic_2da_core@...

      God is good...
      ...all the time!
    • roncriss
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 14, 2005
        Drew,

        Basically the theory of Limbo is medievel speculation. It is not
        actually a part of Catholic doctrine or dogma. As the Catechism of
        the Catholic Church states:

        1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church
        can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her
        funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires
        that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children
        which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder
        them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for
        children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the
        Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ
        through the gift of holy Baptism.
        ( http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM )

        The best place I can recommend online on the subject of Limbo is:

        http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09256a.htm

        Ron

        --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com, "Drew"