84Re: [Divina Commedia] Who was the man?

  • David Camp
    Nov 8, 2006
      Love those beasts and how they permeate the whole work. I've begun a second 1,800-image pass of my own through the work, not intended as illustration mind you, I infuse my own ideas, but not entirely unrelated either: http://www.dreamart.us/2006Oct1.htm

      Remember the beasts he encountered in the beginning? They
      represented lust, anger and greed. He fully acknowledged that he
      had "strayed from the true path" and found himself lost in the
      woods. This was an admission of his own sinfulness. He was no saint
      and never claimed to be one.

      --- In divinacommedia@yahoogroups.com, "David Camp" <dcamp@...>
      > There is so much to grasp with Dante, and in his work, that
      various people have said wildly varying things about both. For
      example, some have said he must have lived a saintly life. Others
      have looked at the opening lines of his poem, and at how he judges
      himself in Purgatorio, and have concluded he was as human as the
      next person, if not more so. After all, it is hard to write
      powerfully about something unless you yourself know it. What I have
      previously stated on other lists is that his work is powerful
      because it is a very good mirror. People read it and see
      themselves. Consequently, what they say about it says as much about
      them as the work itself.