Re: Matched-cover set on eBay

  • jamesrobertsmith
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22 6:59 AM
      I remember that cover and was always impressed with it. Seems pretty obvious the guy lifted the hardware from some Wally Wood illustration, or was at least heavily influenced by Wood sci-fi comics. Whoever the artist was, he was pretty darned good. Had a grasp of anatomy and composition, for sure.

      Think it could have been Alden McWilliams?
    • Thom Young
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22 7:32 AM
        My guess is that the artist for that cover(s) is Sid Check, who was a Wally Wood imitator in the 1950s and who worked at EC as well as at Charlton.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23 4:36 PM
          I think I detect Giordano pencils. Whoever did the art put about ten times more work into it than Charlton paid for. Wonder if it was done for something else and just ended up at Charlton? None of the other OS covers from that period were nearly as fine.

          Mike A.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 23 6:58 PM
            Definitely does NOT look like a Sid Check figure. I'd tend to agree that it's probably Giordano.