Re: Update on the new issue of DM (#71)

  • Nick Caputo
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
      Rob,

      After being pummeled by an east coast snowstorm yesterday it was nice
      to check the mailbox (yes, the post office followed the golden rule
      in my neck of the woods) and find the latest Ditkomania. The cover is
      sensational and you have great artwork throughout, including the
      illos accompanying my article. The back cover of Dr. Graves is
      another favorite.

      I've only read the first two reviews of the latest Ditko product,
      which made some very good points. I will comment further as soon as I
      finish the issue, but it looks like you've topped yourself again.

      Nick C.

      --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Imes" <robimes@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Just an update for you on the status of the new issue of Ditkomania
      > (#71). The issue is all printed up, and I'm in the process of
      > folding and stapling the pages. I will be going to the post office
      > Thursday afternoon to mail 'em out. (I had intended to mail some
      out
      > Wednesday afternoon, but wasn't able to do so.) I have around 70
      > copies already sealed in envelopes, ready to mail. Hopefully some
      of
      > you will be receiving the issue by Saturday, but it might end up
      > arriving on Monday or Tuesday for others.
      >
      > I liked how this issue turned out. My only regret is that Neil
      > Vokes' cover photocopied grayer than I would have liked, for some
      > reason. But I do give the link to Neil's website in the issue, if
      > readers want to get a better (and larger) view of his art.
      >
      > I had forgotten how much hard work it is to put these issues
      > together. Not so much prior to the issue being printed up
      (although
      > that takes some time and effort obviously), but the real work comes
      > AFTER the sheets are printed up. I spent most of today just
      folding
      > and stapling -- so much so that my hands are starting to ache. (At
      > least I didn't pull an all-niter this time, though, like I did last
      > issue.)
      >
      > The practical side of me thinks that I must be a little bit nuts
      for
      > doing this zine. But I know that there are great rewards for doing
      > it each issue; the rewarding part of it all is being in contact
      with
      > all of you and sharing our love and enthusiasm for the work of
      Steve

    • jmain44@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
        I got my issue yesterday as well. I've been sick the past two days and having it show up when it did made me feel much better. Loved the material from my old friend Larry Johnson in this issue.And that front cover by Neil Vokes is a knock-out! DM just keps getting better and better!
        GJ

> [...]

        > association with your name. When I put those people's names on the
        > envelope, I recall what they have said, and I wonder what they will
        > think of the issue. (And the nice part is that some of them WILL
        > tell me what they thought. In fact, there are a few that I can
        count
        > on to take the time to give me some feedback each time, and that
        > makes me look forward to sending it to them. Contemplating their
        > response adds more fun to the boring process of writing names on
        > stacks of manila envelopes, that's for sure.) In the case of some
        > names that I recognize and for which I have mental associations, I
        > truly consider it an honor and a privilege to be able to send them
        > copy!
        >
        > Anyway, just some thoughts I had while getting this issue ready to
        > mail out tomorrow. Now... back to folding paper...

      • Richard Prosch
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
          I agree. Got my copy of No. 71 yesterday too and read it cover to cover before bed.  Terrific stuff!

          The cover got me digging out my copy of Eerie #135 --which then made me wonder...Ditko and Goodwin seem to have made a solid team.

          Did either man ever write about his working relationship with the other?

          RP

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
            I assume that it was DM #71 that was in the envelope that arrived from Rob Imes yesterday. I don't plan on opening it until/if I get around to reading the two previous issues. First have to finish TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (and send Harper Lee a fan letter before she passes), WORLD WAR Z and all my current unread comics.
                Bill

          • Rob Imes
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
              Hi Bill,

              I remember you telling me back in 1997, when I said that I was
              thinking of starting to buy new comics again, that you had a rule
              about buying new comics, which is to not buy more new ones until
              you've got the previous new ones read first. So, I think I'm putting
              out these DMs too fast for them to get off your "to be read" stack.
              (I have a big "to be read" stack myself!)

              By the way, reading Harper Lee's book and writing her a fan letter is
              a great goal! I have enjoyed some of the short stories of her friend
              Truman Capote, but have not read To Kill a Mockingbird myself. I was
              at Borders bookstore this afternoon and found myself looking at the
              prose books more than the comics section of the bookstore. I think
              some comics fans can love comics so much that they may miss out on
              other great books which aren't a comic and/or graphic novel.

              Rob Imes

              --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, Ditkomania@... wrote:

              > I assume that it was DM #71 that was in the envelope that arrived
              from Rob
              > Imes yesterday. I don't plan on opening it until/if I get around to
              reading the
              > two previous issues. First have to finish TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
              (and send
              > Harper Lee a fan letter before she passes), WORLD WAR Z and all my
              current unread
              > comics.
              > Bill
              > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
              just 2 easy
              > steps!
              > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?
              redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%
              3D668072%26hmpgID

            • AIRBOYO2@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009

                In a message dated 3/3/09 5:47:32 PM, robimes@... writes:

                By the way, reading Harper Lee's book and writing her a fan letter is
                a great goal! I have enjoyed some of the short stories of her friend
                Truman Capote, but have not read To Kill a Mockingbird myself.

                I've read the novel four times and maybe seen the movie maybe ten times.
                TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, whether you mean the novel or the movie, is one of my favorite things in the world.
                --steve

                Need a job? Find employment help in your area. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000005)