Re: Ditko's Robin Hood

  • Bruce
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      Great stuff - thanks for posting, Bob.

      Yeah, this art has that "Ditko Look." Sometimes, I don't see it as much in his early work - maybe his style evolved, maybe it was the inkers he was working with, etc. But these pages look like Steve Ditko drew them, which is a good thing in my book!

      The Sheriff looks appropriately menacing. I agree - I wish Mr. Ditko had been able to do more Robin Hood.

      Bruce Buchanan

      --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "kirby_weblog" <kirby_weblog@...> wrote:

      > Continuing the posting of Ditko's 1957-1959 work, here's his only Robin Hood story:
      >
      > http://bit.ly/ao6P7q
      >
      > Really good looking story, would have been nice to see him do some more substantial stories with the character if the series wasn't cancelled with this issue.
      >
      > Bob

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
        Classic Ditko technique in panels 1 and 3 of page 3 -- multiple planes give an impression of depth, and contribute to the story's mood and setting: "Sherwood Forest."

        In panel 4, the girl is the focus, so Ditko drops the backgrounds and the girl's forced shout becomes the center.

        Good stuff!

        -- Mike D