Re: Hmmm...Ayn Rand

  • Mort
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
      --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "jamesrobertsmith" <jamesrobertsmith@...> wrote:

      > I can see why Ditko would avoid illustrating THE FOUNTAINHEAD. It's almost as if he's been living Roark's life, philosophically and (almost) actually.

      In fact, it was Atlas Shrugged. When I was an Editor at Marvel, I got them to approve a 4 issue graphic novel series (though I wanted to do a 44 issue Akira-style adaptation). The Rand Estate was cool with it as long as Ditko would draw it and I was going to get John Severin to ink it. Steve declined and I think the world lost out on a masterpiece!
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
        Who would have written it? Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some job!

        -- MIke D

        --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mort" <morttodd@...> wrote:

        > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "jamesrobertsmith" <jamesrobertsmith@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I can see why Ditko would avoid illustrating THE FOUNTAINHEAD. It's almost as if he's been living Roark's life, philosophically and (almost) actually.
        > >

        > In fact, it was Atlas Shrugged. When I was an Editor at Marvel, I got them to approve a 4 issue graphic novel series (though I wanted to do a 44 issue Akira-style adaptation). The Rand Estate was cool with it as long as Ditko would draw it and I was going to get John Severin to ink it. Steve declined and I think the world lost out on a masterpiece!

      • barryprl
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
          --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@...> wrote:

          > Who would have written it? Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some job!

          They would have chosen someone at Random.
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
            Nice pun!

          • AIRBOYO2@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009

              In a message dated 10/23/09 12:42:28 PM, morttodd@... writes:

              In fact, it was Atlas Shrugged. When I was an Editor at Marvel, I got them to approve a 4 issue graphic novel series (though I wanted to do a 44 issue Akira-style adaptation). The Rand Estate was cool with it as long as Ditko would draw it and I was going to get John Severin to ink it. Steve declined and I think the world lost out on a masterpiece!

              -------------------------------
              I'd let my remaining 23 teeth go to have a copy of same, if it had been produced.
              --steve
            • rschroet@execpc.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 24, 2009
                At 04:18 PM 10/23/2009, you wrote:

                Nice pun!

                --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "barryprl" <Finfangfoom@...> wrote:

                > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Who would have written it?  Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some job!
                >
                > They would have chosen someone at Random.

                What!....????
                Barry's little in-joke is so subtle, I'm not even sure **I** get it!!!

                Rodney Schroeter
                Somewhere in Wisconsin

              • Mike
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                  Barry said someone at "Random" as in the publisher that issued the hardcover!

                  --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, rschroet@... wrote:

                  > At 04:18 PM 10/23/2009, you wrote:
                  >
                  > Nice pun!
                  >

                  > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "barryprl"
                  > <Finfangfoom@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@>
                  > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Who would have written it?
                  > Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some
                  > job!
                  > >
                  > > They would have chosen someone at
                  > Random.
                  > >

                  > What!....????
                  > Barry's
                  > little in-joke is so subtle, I'm not even sure **I** get it!!!
                  >
                  > Rodney Schroeter
                  > Somewhere in Wisconsin

                • silent_reels
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                    --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@...> wrote:

                    > Barry said someone at "Random" as in the publisher that issued the hardcover!
                    >
                    > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, rschroet@ wrote:
                    > >

                    > > At 04:18 PM 10/23/2009, you wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Nice pun!
                    > >

                    > > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "barryprl"
                    > > <Finfangfoom@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@>

                    > > Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some
                    > > job!
                    > > >
                    > > > They would have chosen someone at
                    > > Random.
                    > > >

                    > > What!....????
                    > > Barry's
                    > > little in-joke is so subtle, I'm not even sure **I** get it!!!
                    > >
                    > > Rodney Schroeter
                    > > Somewhere in Wisconsin

                    Oh.... well, then, I DIDN'T get it. I was hearing Twilight Zone music for a minute, there.

                    Rodney Schroeter
                    Random Lake, Wisconsin
                  • Jim Salicrup
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                      I just thought the pun was RANDom-- as in Ayn RAND.  Shows what I know!

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009

                        In a message dated 10/26/09 3:39:43 PM, rschroet@... writes:

                        Oh.... well, then, I DIDN'T get it. I was hearing Twilight Zone music for a minute, there.

                        Rodney,
                        I am almost always hearing that theme music, whether it is the one from the early shows or the more famous one...
                        --steve (not just because I have a Rod Serling Yahoogroup either)