Hmmm...Ayn Rand

  • Michael Aushenker
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
      I'd like to see Ayn Rand's biography as written and drawn by Steve Ditko. I doubt he'd ever do it (he wisely opted out of illustrating a comic book version of fOUNTAINHEAD ...or maybe it was ATLAS SHRUGGED?) but it'd be interesting, wouldn't it? You know what else would've been better by Ditko in his prime? "The Hunter," the book that Darwyn Cooke illustrated. Cooke's style is too sweet and cutesie for the material, and Ditko really gives you a feel for the underworld and their machinations. Stuff like THE MOCKER and his assorted ethics comics. And of course Mr. A. That'd be a stick of dynamite, Ditko drawing Parker and getting some comeuppance on the criminal world. Ditko gives great comeuppance! I'd rather see stuff like that than see Neal Adams return to Green Lantern or John Byrne return to X-Men. Who needs that stuff when you've got Steve D. He's the Man!

      Michael Aushenker
    • Allen Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
        True.

            Al

[...]

      • jamesrobertsmith
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
          I can see why Ditko would avoid illustrating THE FOUNTAINHEAD. It's almost as if he's been living Roark's life, philosophically and (almost) actually.

          --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, Michael Aushenker <chipmunksandsquirrels@...> wrote:

          > I'd like to see Ayn Rand's biography as written and drawn by Steve Ditko. I doubt he'd ever do it (he wisely opted out of illustrating a comic book version of fOUNTAINHEAD ...or maybe it was ATLAS SHRUGGED?) but it'd be interesting, wouldn't it? You know what else would've been better by Ditko in his prime? "The Hunter," the book that Darwyn Cooke illustrated. Cooke's style is too sweet and cutesie for the material, and Ditko really gives you a feel for the underworld and their machinations. Stuff like THE MOCKER and his assorted ethics comics. And of course Mr. A. That'd be a stick of dynamite, Ditko drawing Parker and getting some comeuppance on the criminal world. Ditko gives great comeuppance! I'd rather see stuff like that than see Neal Adams return to Green Lantern or John Byrne return to X-Men. Who needs that stuff when you've got Steve D. He's the Man!
          >
          > Michael Aushenker

        • Mort
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
            --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "jamesrobertsmith" <jamesrobertsmith@...> wrote:

            > I can see why Ditko would avoid illustrating THE FOUNTAINHEAD. It's almost as if he's been living Roark's life, philosophically and (almost) actually.

            In fact, it was Atlas Shrugged. When I was an Editor at Marvel, I got them to approve a 4 issue graphic novel series (though I wanted to do a 44 issue Akira-style adaptation). The Rand Estate was cool with it as long as Ditko would draw it and I was going to get John Severin to ink it. Steve declined and I think the world lost out on a masterpiece!
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
              Who would have written it? Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some job!

              -- MIke D

              --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mort" <morttodd@...> wrote:

              > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "jamesrobertsmith" <jamesrobertsmith@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I can see why Ditko would avoid illustrating THE FOUNTAINHEAD. It's almost as if he's been living Roark's life, philosophically and (almost) actually.
              > >

              > In fact, it was Atlas Shrugged. When I was an Editor at Marvel, I got them to approve a 4 issue graphic novel series (though I wanted to do a 44 issue Akira-style adaptation). The Rand Estate was cool with it as long as Ditko would draw it and I was going to get John Severin to ink it. Steve declined and I think the world lost out on a masterpiece!

            • barryprl
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
                --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@...> wrote:

                > Who would have written it? Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some job!

                They would have chosen someone at Random.
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009
                  Nice pun!

                • AIRBOYO2@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 23, 2009

                    In a message dated 10/23/09 12:42:28 PM, morttodd@... writes:

                    In fact, it was Atlas Shrugged. When I was an Editor at Marvel, I got them to approve a 4 issue graphic novel series (though I wanted to do a 44 issue Akira-style adaptation). The Rand Estate was cool with it as long as Ditko would draw it and I was going to get John Severin to ink it. Steve declined and I think the world lost out on a masterpiece!

                    -------------------------------
                    I'd let my remaining 23 teeth go to have a copy of same, if it had been produced.
                    --steve
                  • rschroet@execpc.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 24, 2009
                      At 04:18 PM 10/23/2009, you wrote:

                      Nice pun!

                      --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "barryprl" <Finfangfoom@...> wrote:

                      > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Who would have written it?  Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some job!
                      >
                      > They would have chosen someone at Random.

                      What!....????
                      Barry's little in-joke is so subtle, I'm not even sure **I** get it!!!

                      Rodney Schroeter
                      Somewhere in Wisconsin

                    • Mike
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                        Barry said someone at "Random" as in the publisher that issued the hardcover!

                        --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, rschroet@... wrote:

                        > At 04:18 PM 10/23/2009, you wrote:
                        >
                        > Nice pun!
                        >

                        > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "barryprl"
                        > <Finfangfoom@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@>
                        > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Who would have written it?
                        > Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some
                        > job!
                        > >
                        > > They would have chosen someone at
                        > Random.
                        > >

                        > What!....????
                        > Barry's
                        > little in-joke is so subtle, I'm not even sure **I** get it!!!
                        >
                        > Rodney Schroeter
                        > Somewhere in Wisconsin

                      • silent_reels
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                          --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@...> wrote:

                          > Barry said someone at "Random" as in the publisher that issued the hardcover!
                          >
                          > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, rschroet@ wrote:
                          > >

                          > > At 04:18 PM 10/23/2009, you wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Nice pun!
                          > >

                          > > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "barryprl"
                          > > <Finfangfoom@> wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > --- In ditkomania@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mdelisa@>

                          > > Boiling down that novel to 4 issues of a comic book would be some
                          > > job!
                          > > >
                          > > > They would have chosen someone at
                          > > Random.
                          > > >

                          > > What!....????
                          > > Barry's
                          > > little in-joke is so subtle, I'm not even sure **I** get it!!!
                          > >
                          > > Rodney Schroeter
                          > > Somewhere in Wisconsin

                          Oh.... well, then, I DIDN'T get it. I was hearing Twilight Zone music for a minute, there.

                          Rodney Schroeter
                          Random Lake, Wisconsin
                        • Jim Salicrup
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                            I just thought the pun was RANDom-- as in Ayn RAND.  Shows what I know!

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009

                              In a message dated 10/26/09 3:39:43 PM, rschroet@... writes:

                              Oh.... well, then, I DIDN'T get it. I was hearing Twilight Zone music for a minute, there.

                              Rodney,
                              I am almost always hearing that theme music, whether it is the one from the early shows or the more famous one...
                              --steve (not just because I have a Rod Serling Yahoogroup either)