Re: Learning about DITA

  • lee_anne_kowalski
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Paul,

      Your question is very timely. The following announcement was just posted to the dita-users group:

      New DITA and DITA Open Toolkit resource for beginning and intermediate users
      Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:26 pm (PDT)

      Hello, Fellow DITA and DITA Toolkit Users --

      Dick Johnson and I have just created and posted a new resource: DITAinformationcent er, which is a comprehensive source of information about DITA and DITA Open Toolkit -- probably most useful to beginning and intermediate users.

      The package is a follow-on to the DITA Open Toolkit User Guide, which we also authored but have not updated in a couple of years.

      The DITAinformationcenter is a learning and prototyping package that contains:
      - XHTML and PDF versions of the documentation
      - DITA Open Toolkit 1.5 (current beta level)
      - PHP interpreter 5.1.4
      - A number of PHP-based debugging, editing, and reporting tools
      - Two sets of sample DITA projects: garage and grocery shopping
      - A README file explaining how to install and use the package
      - DITA source files for the documentation (.zip file)

      If you've looked at the DITA Open Toolkit User Guide in the past some of this will sound familiar. What's new is that the key tools that will get you started with DITA and the Toolkit are packaged together as a Windows .msi file (easy to install and use); the documentation and tools have been thoroughly updated, streamlined, and improved; and the package works and has been tested at the Toolkit 1.5 level (although the content and tagging do not yet contain 1.5-level features).

      We hope to add some 1.5-level functionality after Toolkit 1.5 has been officially released.

      To download one or more components of the package:

      www.vrcommunications.com/resources.htm

      If you have specific questions or comments you can reach us at:

      avanraaphorst@... (please note my new email address)
      rjohnson42@...

      -Anna and Dick

      ------------------------
      Note: I have no connection with VR Communications itself. I have used their previous "DITA Open Toolkit User Guide" and found its explanations helpful.

      Best regards,
      Lee Anne
      Co-chair DITA Boston User Group
    • lee_anne_kowalski
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi Paul,

        Here are a few other resources, with links to other sources:

        "Getting Started With DITA" Tutorial from Lone-DITA linked at "DITA Users" site:
        http://www.ditausers.org/tutorials/

        While many of the items on that "DITA Users" Tutorials page are "members-only" content, the Lone-DITA items are available.

        DITA Publications list posted at DITA News site:
        http://www.ditanews.com/resources/publications/

        While many of the items seem circa 2006, there are a lot of items that help orient beginners.

        A book that focuses on the concepts behind the DITA architecture is "Practical DITA" by Julio Vazquez:
        http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/practical-dita/5418702

        Best regards,
        Lee Anne
        Co-chair DITA Boston Users Group