Introduction

  • Michael D. Green
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 12, 2008
      I'm glad to see this group is starting up again. I attended a few
      meetings of the old group and found it helpful. Here's a brief
      introduction:

      I work for Abaqus in Providence. We make high-end engineering modeling
      software and have been around for 30 years. We we purchased by
      Dassault Systemes (DS) a few years ago. DS also owns SolidWorks and
      Enovia in the Boston area.
      We have been creating online and printed docs with DocBook for about
      14 years. We have some new product initiatives with DS and are trying
      to use DITA for the corporate standard. So far we have released one
      product with DITA sourced docs (HTML and PDF). However, we use the
      open toolkit DITA to DocBook converter and continue to use our DocBook
      publishing tools/systems, which are quite sophisticated.
      A few years ago we were new to DITA and were happy to get any help we
      could find from the user group meetings. Now were are fairly
      comfortable with DITA and would like to see some more advanced
      presentations. We are happy to share the little knowledge that we have.

      Michael D. Green
      Abaqus/SIMULIA
    • Liz Augustine
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2008

        Welcome Michael and others who’ve found us during our pre-announcement “soft opening”. Yes, we’re eager to get the Boston group started again. We’ve been talking about how to create a good mix of topics that will appeal to a wide variety of DITA practioners. We’re interested in  your ideas, either formally (via our upcoming survey) or more informally, through discussions on this list or with individual moderators.

        I’m Liz Augustine. I work at SolidWorks, one of the sister companies Michael G alluded to. This is the fourth job in which I’ve used DITA. In my current job, we’ve been working on getting writers comfortable with DITA. We’re currently creating a DITA Consistency Guide and we’ve just selected a DITA content management system which we’ll be rolling out in 2009. We’re also thinking about converting our legacy documentation. I suspect we’ll be talking soon about collaborating with other departments in the company so that we can share more content with each other. It’s all very exciting.

        Welcome!

        -- liz

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          Hi Everyone,

          I, too, am glad this group is starting up again.

          My job at XyEnterprise is to ensure that the Contenta DITA solution
          meets the needs of people who author, review, manage, and publish
          DITA content and I have found this forum to be of real value in
          understanding how people work with DITA and what challenges they face.

          I'm happy to have the privilege of submitting the first post for 2009
          and I look forward to seeing you at future meetings.

          Jon Parsons
          XyEnterprise

          --- In ditabug@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Augustine" <lizaugustine@...>
          wrote:

          > Welcome Michael and others who've found us during our pre-
          announcement "soft
          > opening". Yes, we're eager to get the Boston group started again.
          We've been
          > talking about how to create a good mix of topics that will appeal
          to a wide
          > variety of DITA practioners. We're interested in your ideas, either
          > formally (via our upcoming survey) or more informally, through
          discussions
          > on this list or with individual moderators.
          >

          > I'm Liz Augustine. I work at SolidWorks, one of the sister
          companies Michael
          > G alluded to. This is the fourth job in which I've used DITA. In my
          current
          > job, we've been working on getting writers comfortable with DITA.
          We're
          > currently creating a DITA Consistency Guide and we've just selected
          a DITA
          > content management system which we'll be rolling out in 2009. We're
          also
          > thinking about converting our legacy documentation. I suspect we'll
          be
          > talking soon about collaborating with other departments in the
          company so
          > that we can share more content with each other. It's all very
          exciting.

          > Welcome!
          >

          > -- liz
          >

          > _____