Re: new to DITA

  • nanr93
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 2, 2007
      Wow, looks like I'll need to read emails over the weekend if I want to
      keep up with this list! Thanks to one and all for your detailed and
      helpful replies - and please keep them coming. I'm getting quite an
      education here.

      I have already shot off an email to our SCM expert and am waiting with
      fingers tightly crossed for him to tell me that yes, our SCM has
      strong XML support (in accordance with all your comments) and we won't
      have to spend a dime on a CMS...

      Thanks again,
      Nancy

      --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, keith.soltys@... wrote:

      > > > Any suggestions on what SCMs would be a "good first
      > > > step"?
      > >
      > > Ideally some system already used in your company so
      > > you can piggyback on the hardware, admin, and backup
      > > support. We used clearcase because our engineering
      > > team is using it. See what's available in house
      > > and what kind of XML support it has.
      > >
      > > Starting from scratch, subversion probably works
      > > fine but I have no idea what kind of hardware and
      > > admin support you would need.
      > >
      > > - Craig
      > >
      > Thanks. We do have ClearCase in-house, so I may take a look at that.
      >
      > Keith
      >
      > --
      > Keith Soltys
      > Senior Technical Writer
      > Architecture
      > TSX Technologies
      > (416) 947-4397
      > http://www.tsx.com/

    • nanr93
      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 4, 2007
        That's a good idea, Steve, and it's very encouraging to hear you say
        we might be able to use our existing SCM. Although my company is a
        huge multinational market leader, the chances of them spending
        megabucks on a CMS are pretty slim. It is, after all, "just
        documentation..." (grrrrr.....)

        I haven't heard back from our SCM guy yet, but I've gotten a lot of
        great information from this list, and I'm sure I'll be able to sort
        everything out. And I'm looking forward to the day I have enough
        expertise here to help someone else out.

        Thanks again,
        Nancy

        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Anderson"