XML Editors Should Just Work Too

  • Eliot Kimber
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      As a side effect of developing my demo DITA functionality for RSuite, I'm integrating various editors. Let me just say it's not going as smoothly as I'd like. I've channeled my frustration into a blog post that, if you are an editor vendor, I'd really like you to read: http://drmacros-xml-rants.blogspot.com/2007/10/automatic-handling-of-dita-docs-in-xml.html

      The essence of this blog post is this:

      Use the existence of the DITAArchVersion attribute in the DITA namespace to detect that a given document is in fact a DITA document and apply your built-in, default DITA support to it automatically without me having to have done anything in advance.

      Please.

      No really, please.

      I insisted that DITA 1.1 have the DITAArchVersion attribute for exactly this reason. Please take advantage of it.

      At the moment, as near as I can tell, it is *impossible* for me to integrate any graphical XML editor with RSuite such that I can import arbitrary DITA documents (which I can now do) and then *immediately* edit them *as DITA* using an editor integrated with RSuite, without going to a lot of additional development effort on my end.

      The whole point of my demo is to show that we can handle arbitrary DITA documents with no up-front configuration, but at the moment I can only really show editing via a non-graphical editor, where all you need is access to the DTD.

      I could implement automatic per-DTD configuration of whatever editor I choose to integrate (I have the DTD in hand once it's been imported so I could generate the necessary configuration artifacts) but I really shouldn't have to.

      It should just work.

      Cheers,

      E.
      ----
      W. Eliot Kimber
      Senior Solutions Architect
      Really Strategies, Inc.
      512 554 9368
    • David
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi, Eliot

        If this list had been split, might I ask where you would have posted
        this?

        It seems to me that it's as much about processing as DITA
        architecture.

        David

        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@...>
        wrote:

        > As a side effect of developing my demo DITA functionality for
        RSuite, I'm integrating various editors. Let me just say it's not
        going as smoothly as I'd like. I've channeled my frustration into a
        blog post that, if you are an editor vendor, I'd really like you to
        read: http://drmacros-xml-rants.blogspot.com/2007/10/automatic-
        handling-of-dita-docs-in-xml.html

        > The essence of this blog post is this:
        >
        > Use the existence of the DITAArchVersion attribute in the DITA
        namespace to detect that a given document is in fact a DITA document
        and apply your built-in, default DITA support to it automatically
        without me having to have done anything in advance.

        > Please.
        >
        > No really, please.
        >
        > I insisted that DITA 1.1 have the DITAArchVersion attribute for
        exactly this reason. Please take advantage of it.

        > At the moment, as near as I can tell, it is *impossible* for me to
        integrate any graphical XML editor with RSuite such that I can
        import arbitrary DITA documents (which I can now do) and then
        *immediately* edit them *as DITA* using an editor integrated with
        RSuite, without going to a lot of additional development effort on
        my end.

        > The whole point of my demo is to show that we can handle arbitrary
        DITA documents with no up-front configuration, but at the moment I
        can only really show editing via a non-graphical editor, where all
        you need is access to the DTD.

        > I could implement automatic per-DTD configuration of whatever
        editor I choose to integrate (I have the DTD in hand once it's been
        imported so I could generate the necessary configuration artifacts)
        but I really shouldn't have to.

        > It should just work.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > E.
        > ----
        > W. Eliot Kimber
        > Senior Solutions Architect
        > Really Strategies, Inc.
        > 512 554 9368

      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007

          Hmm, good point. Even though my initial response was “sure, split them”, I’ve come around to general agreement with not splitting.

          Cheers,

          E.

          ----