Re: Distributing XercesImpl.jar with Dita

  • lukas_zapletal
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 2:00 AM
      java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: c

      It seems dita has a problem with paths with spaces when we use Xalan
      from JDK 6. It was very strange error and we have solved it by passing
      our own Xalan implementation to bootclasspath.

      LZ
    • Deborah Pickett
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 4:59 AM
        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "lukas_zapletal" <lzap@...> wrote:
        > java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol: c

        That says that somewhere is a Windows file path (c:\foo\bar) being interpreted as a URL. Old
        versions of Xalan would try to accommodate such misuses and Do What You Mean, but newer
        ones (and Saxon) rightly reject such things. The correct URL to refer to a file is "file:/c:/foo/
        bar".

        There's a SourceForge bug report for some instances of this (workdir-related ones):
        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
        func=detail&aid=1732569&group_id=132728&atid=725076
        I found that it was necessary to apply the patch on Windows to make DITA-OT work with
        Saxon 8. Does it help with recent versions of Xalan too?

        > It seems dita has a problem with paths with spaces when we use Xalan
        > from JDK 6.

        Spaces in filenames is a bigger problem, and at the moment intractable (because of the
        dependency on Ant, which has no way of escaping filenames). It's a design flaw, probably in
        Ant, and needs a rather large workaround.