Re: [dita-users] Enabling Collaborative Design-and-Decision Discussions, Online

  • Erik Hennum
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2007

      Hi, Eric:

      That's a really interesting thought -- if lack of precision contributes to the challenge of the asynchronous and decentralized conversations in our brave new world, markup should be able to contribute to the solution.

      Because IBIS seems to be about relationships, I'm wondering if a DITA approach might make use of a map specialization -- perhaps using specialized topicrefs to

      • Assign the definitional role for an idea or question to an existing topic
      • Establish flexible and maintainable relationships between these ideas and questions
      • Assign pro and con argument roles with respect to these ideas to other existing topics

      In particular, the relationship between defined ideas and their pro and con arguments seems similar to the relationships between defined subjects and classified content or between defined learning objectives and learning content.

      One other benefit of specializing a map -- you could point at ideas or arguments defined elsewhere on the web or in different formats (using the format attribute of topicref).

      It would work best with the proposed key-based referencing for DITA 1.2 because the topic that best defines an idea or question might change without changing the correctness of the pro or con argument role for other content.

      FWIW, as a precedent for modeling IBIS with relationships rather than a structural type, Danny Ayers drafted an RDF representation of IBIS a while back (http://dannyayers.com:88/xmlns/ibis/).

      Thanks,

      Erik Hennum
      ehennum@...

      Inactive hide details for Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@...>Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@...>

              Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@...>
              Sent by: dita-users@yahoogroups.com

              07/23/2007 03:46 PM

              Please respond to
              dita-users@yahoogroups.com

      dita-users@yahoogroups.com, svdig@yahoogroups.com

      cc

      Subject

      [dita-users] Enabling Collaborative Design-and-Decision Discussions, Online
      A recent blog post on a fascinating future in which
      DITA could help to facilitate far-reaching discussions:

      http://blogs.sun.com/coolstuff/entry/enabling_collaborative_design_and_decision

      --
      Eric Armstrong, Document Systems Architect, Sun Microsystems

      http://blogs.sun.com/coolstuff
      http://www.artima.com/weblogs/index.jsp?blogger=cooltools

    • Eric Armstrong
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25, 2007
        Brilliant thoughts, Erik. You've outlined the best possible
        approach, I should think. I'm not up to speed on the 1.2
        enhancements, and I'm focused on the collaborative editing
        part of the equation, but I'm adding a pointer to this post
        in the original blog, for later reference.)

        Note: I seem to recall seeing Ayer's RDF representation a
        while back. But the real issue to my mind is the ability
        to effectively interact online, regardless of the representation.
        That's the "social judo" aspect of the DITA collaboration
        initiative. Companies are motivated to solve that problem
        for their documents. Using DITA specializations as the
        representation for an IBIS-structured discussion harnesses
        that capability to do even bigger and better things for society.

        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Erik Hennum <ehennum@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Eric:
        >
        > That's a really interesting thought -- if lack of precision
        contributes to
        > the challenge of the asynchronous and decentralized conversations in our
        > brave new world, markup should be able to contribute to the solution.
        >
        > Because IBIS seems to be about relationships, I'm wondering if a DITA
        > approach might make use of a map specialization -- perhaps using
        > specialized topicrefs to
        >
        > Assign the definitional role for an idea or question to an existing
        > topic
        > Establish flexible and maintainable relationships between these ideas
        > and questions
        > Assign pro and con argument roles with respect to these ideas to
        other
        > existing topics
        >
        > In particular, the relationship between defined ideas and their pro
        and con
        > arguments seems similar to the relationships between defined
        subjects and
        > classified content or between defined learning objectives and learning
        > content.
        >
        > One other benefit of specializing a map -- you could point at ideas or
        > arguments defined elsewhere on the web or in different formats
        (using the
        > format attribute of topicref).
        >
        > It would work best with the proposed key-based referencing for DITA 1.2
        > because the topic that best defines an idea or question might change
        > without changing the correctness of the pro or con argument role for
        other
        > content.
        >
        > FWIW, as a precedent for modeling IBIS with relationships rather than a
        > structural type, Danny Ayers drafted an RDF representation of IBIS a
        while
        > back (http://dannyayers.com:88/xmlns/ibis/).
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Erik Hennum