Re: [dita-users] Re: DITA Strengths... Was: Hitting DITA conditionality limits

  • ogormanjjka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 1, 2005
      Erik;

      I completely agree with the approach of DITA, and very much appreciate the time you took to provide examples.

      I took a section of your post to illustrate the challenge I am facing, the reason I am trying to understand how DITA handles specialization, and why I have expressed the opinion that re-use, while possible in DITA, is not one of DITA's stronger aspects.

      Here's the section:

      "The two deliverables can also reuse a branch of topics (C ) and
      fit the branch into different hierarchies. The example pulls
      the part C branch into two different automobile models.
        You can
      give the branch different parents and siblings (though not
      different children for the obvious reasons)."

      Part C should already have re-use properties without DITA, and that is part of my point. Technical writers attempting to use DITA attributes to manage the properties of product components and assemblies are borrowing trouble. I am not saying that DITA as an architecture cannot accomplish many great things with respect to re-use. I just wonder about the cost and sustainability of that effort.

      Here is a scenario that might help clarify my concerns.

      My company currently sells 17 system-enhancing products. My topic-oriented documentation set uses 'product' as one of the attributes for each chunk. Each product has a user guide, Help set, and dedicated support site.

    • John OGorman
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 1, 2005
        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, ogormanjjka@a... wrote:
        > Erik;

        I have no idea how this topic was re-posted. Do with it what you will,
        but believe me - it wasn't me.