ditamap and SFM (was DITA and information modeling newbie - lots of questions)

  • roxvillerooster
    Message 1 of 14 , May 2, 2005
      Hello Seraphim et al,

      <!-- This message is more about using structured FrameMaker with DITA
      than DITA itself. I have posted a similar message to the
      FrameMaker-DITA group, too. -->

      I have attempted the proof-of-concept outline you suggested. I have
      been using the sample files from the open toolkit. I have reached an
      impasse at the "edit your DITA maps in FrameMaker" stage.

      Here's what I have done:
      * Generated a new EDD from the map.dtd.
      * Updated my structapps.fm to point to the map.dtd

      When I save as XML (using FM 7.0), I get this error:
      Element 'map' was used in the DOCTYPE but never declared
      Can someone tell me where I need to declare 'map'? I have it listed in
      the structapps.fm file. The dtd files are where they should be. I am
      not sure what is missing.

      Here's the suggested proof-of-concept plan from message 493
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dita-users/message/493>:
      - take a small project
      - break the information into meaningful chunks
      - set up those chunks as DITA topics
      - edit those topics in FrameMaker
      - identify what your actual deliverables are
      - implement each deliverable as a DITA map
      - edit your DITA maps in FrameMaker -- arrange the
      topics into maps in an appropriate hierarchical
      fashion
      - process the DITA maps using the free XSLT transforms
      that are in the DITA toolkit, to create your final
      output (PDF, Help, HTML, etc.)
      - deliver your PDFs (or whatever)

      Thanks in advance for any assistance,

      Andy Hall
    • Larsen, Seraphim L
      Message 2 of 14 , May 2, 2005
        Hi Andy,

        You're actually ahead of me at this point! I'm still testing this plan
        myself, based on what I picked up at the Annapolis conference. I'll
        let you know how it goes, when I get to the point of editing maps. Don
        Day seemed to think it should be pretty straightforward.

        Regards,
        Seraphim