On specifying a profile for select -attributes

  • F Baube
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
      Perhaps I've missed something in the DITA docs, but I'm
      wondering if there is a description of how to specify a
      publishing context by specifying values for select -attributes.

      In the doc archspechtml/condproc.html there is an example
      which takes this source doc:

      <ul>
      <li product="extendedprod">Set foo to bar</li>
      <li product="basicprod extendedprod">Set your blink rate</li>
      <li>Do some other stuff</li>
      <li platform="Linux">Do a special thing for Linux</li>
      </ul>

      and describes what output would result from this profile:

      <prop att="audience" val="administrator" action="flag" use="ADMIN"/>
      <prop att="product" val="extendedprod" action="exclude"/>

      "The format shown here for identifying values for filtering
      and flagging is not normative, and is shown purely for the
      sake of illustrating the expected processing logic."

      From this passage, I deduce that there is in fact not yet an
      established way to specify a profile, nor even agreement on
      what the logical structure of one might be.

      Can anyone provide more information in this regard ?

      thanx much,

      fred baube

      --
      F.Baube * "I propose that we should set a course
      Georgetown/MSFS/1988 * from 'the free world' of the Cold War,
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2005
        F Baube <fbaube@...> wrote on 04/01/2005 07:10:53 AM:

        > Perhaps I've missed something in the DITA docs, but I'm
        > wondering if there is a description of how to specify a
        > publishing context by specifying values for select -attributes.
        > Can anyone provide more information in this regard ?

        Yes, this capability is in fact available in the DITA Open Toolkit. The
        toolkit provides the dita.input.valfile parameter, which is defined as: The
        file name containing filter/flagging/revision information.

        Make up this version of a file that you call "mytest.ditaval":

        <val>
        <prop att="audience" val="administrator" action="flag" use="ADMIN"/>
        <prop att="product" val="extendedprod" action="exclude"/>
        </val>

        Within the "revise below here" area of a copy of one of the sample Ant
        build files (I copied ant/sample_xhtml.xml as valdemo_xhtml.xml in the /and
        directory), add the following parameter:

        <property name="dita.input.valfile"

        value="${basedir}${file.separator}demo${file.separator}demo-don${file.separator}mytest.ditaval"/>

        (Note that this reflects my test file locations in
        C:\DITA-OT1.0\demo\demo-don )

        Set your source filepath as well in the "args.input" line, and set your
        desired output path. This should do it for the test run.

        I get the following output when I process with "ant -f
        ant/valdemo_xhtml.xml":

        Testing conditionality
        Set the configuration options:
        Do some other stuff
        Do a special thing for Linux

        As expected, neither list item with the excluded property shows up. In
        running this test, I just found a possible bug, as the "ADMIN" text flag
        should have been inserted in the paragraph intro--I'll look into it. But
        there you have the basics for producing conditionally altered output using
        the DITA Open Toolkit. I'll get this sample into the how-to documentation
        for the Toolkit... I needed a reminder.

        I hope this helps!

        Regards,
        --