RE: [dita-users] Frame 7.2 app pack install prob

  • Max Dunn
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2006
      > The problem is, I don't get the DITA-Topic-FM
      > etc options appearing in the drop down boxes and
      > I can't figure out
      > why. I'm pretty sure I installed the pack right
      > and set the structapp
      > file correctly.

      It sounds as if the structapp file is not set correctly. When you Choose
      File > Structure Tools > Edit Application Definitions, and look at the
      structure view, do you have XML Applications that include DITA-Topic-FM,
      DITA-Book-FM, and DITA-Map-FM?

      If you set them and did not exit and re-open frame, it is also necessary
      to choose File > Structure Tools > Read Application Definitions for
      Frame to be aware of your changes.

      > I get the following console errors:

      The console errors would be normal until such time as the DITA options
      are set. The dropdowns are populated based on the XML Applications
      available in your structapps file.

      Thanks,

      Max
    • krisman1111
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi Scott,

        Thanks for the links. The reason I didn't post on the Adobe labs forum
        is that it looked rather uninviting, and I didn't know about the
        framemaker-dita yahoo group (I'll follow that one up now). However, if
        we're restricted in the sort of questions we're allowed to ask on this
        group, then I'd appreciate a newcomers guide to what should and
        shouldn't be posted, because with no other guidelines that I could see
        (and I did check the files before I posted), I thought my question
        would have clearly fallen into the "This group supports users of DITA"
        category.

        Anyway, following a reply I got off-list, it appears that although I
        had set up the structapps file correctly, I didn't have it open when I
        was trying to set the DITA options. The options only show up when the
        structapps file is open. So, problem solved!

        Cheers,
        Trish :)

        http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/framemaker_ap/)
        > .. or at least the framemaker-dita Yahoo group.
        >
        > It sounds like you haven't set up your application definition file
        > (structapps.fm) with the structure applications that are provided with
        > the DITA App Pack. See the section titled "Adding the Application Pack
        > for DITA components to the application definition
        > file" in the fm72_usingdita.pdf file that should be installed in the
        > FrameMaker\ditafm folder. Once the structure applications are
        defined in
        > the structapps.fm file, they will be available from the DITA Options
        dialog.

        > If you think you've set up the structapps file correctly, feel free to
        > send me your structapps file (off list) and I'll take a look at it.
        >
        > I hope that helps .. let me know if you have any other questions.
        >
        > ...scott
        >
        > Scott Prentice
        > Leximation, Inc.
        > www.leximation.com
        > +1.415.485.1892
        >

        > krisman1111 wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > I'm new to both DITA and FrameMaker, but am trying to evaluate both
        > > and hopefully be sufficiently impressed to implement them at work. I'm
        > > running into a problem trying to install the Frame 7.2 DITA
        > > application pack and am hoping someone on this list can help.
        > >
        > > In the Final Setup part of the installation instructions, it says to
        > > set the DITA options. The problem is, I don't get the DITA-Topic-FM
        > > etc options appearing in the drop down boxes and I can't figure out
        > > why. I'm pretty sure I installed the pack right and set the structapp
        > > file correctly. I get the following console errors:
        > >
        > > DITA+FM NOTE: [DITAMAP-StructApp] No structured application is
        > > specified in the Options dialog, unable to add the "New" topic items
        > > to the menu.
        > > DITA+FM NOTE: [DITA-StructApp] No structured application is specified
        > > in the Options dialog, unable to add the "New" topic items to the
        menu.
        > > DITA+FM NOTE: Please set the DITA and DITAMAP structure applications
        > > with the DITA > Options command.
        > >
        > > I was thinking to bypass the gui and edit the ditafm.ini file
        > > directly, but I couldn't really figure out what I needed to add.
        > >
        > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Trish

      • Scott Prentice
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
          Hi Trish...

          Sorry .. your post was perfectly fine (DITA question on a DITA list),
          but posting to a FrameMaker-specific list/forum will get you more info.

          If the applications don't show up in the DITA Options dialog without the
          structapps.fm file being open, that's a bug. I'll contact you off-list
          for more details to see if it's something that needs to be fixed .. it
          doesn't work this way for most people (as far as I know). If other
          people have run into this problem, please contact me so we can figure
          out what's up.

          Cheers!

          ...scott

          Scott Prentice
          Leximation, Inc.
          www.leximation.com
          +1.415.485.1892

          krisman1111 wrote:

> [...]
          > > > set the DITA options. The problem is, I don't get the DITA-Topic-FM
          > > > etc options appearing in the drop down boxes and I can't figure out
          > > > why. I'm pretty sure I installed the pack right and set the structapp
          > > > file correctly. I get the following console errors:
          > > >
          > > > DITA+FM NOTE: [DITAMAP-StructApp] No structured application is
          > > > specified in the Options dialog, unable to add the "New" topic items
          > > > to the menu.
          > > > DITA+FM NOTE: [DITA-StructApp] No structured application is specified
          > > > in the Options dialog, unable to add the "New" topic items to the
          > menu.
          > > > DITA+FM NOTE: Please set the DITA and DITAMAP structure applications
          > > > with the DITA > Options command.
          > > >
          > > > I was thinking to bypass the gui and edit the ditafm.ini file
          > > > directly, but I couldn't really figure out what I needed to add.

        • krisman1111
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2006
            No worries, Scott :) I'll follow up a few other lists anyway,
            in these early stages I need as much info as I can get.

            Didn't realise the Frame prob was a bug at first, I just
            thought a step had been left off the instructions. And then I
            started wondering why it had been designed like that...

            Cheers,
            Trish :)

            PS. Max, your post finally came through!

            --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Scott Prentice <sp@...> wrote:

            > Hi Trish...
            >
            > Sorry .. your post was perfectly fine (DITA question on a DITA list),
            > but posting to a FrameMaker-specific list/forum will get you more info.
            >
            > If the applications don't show up in the DITA Options dialog without
            the
            > structapps.fm file being open, that's a bug. I'll contact you off-list
            > for more details to see if it's something that needs to be fixed .. it
            > doesn't work this way for most people (as far as I know). If other
            > people have run into this problem, please contact me so we can figure
            > out what's up.
            >
            > Cheers!
            >
            > ...scott
            >
            > Scott Prentice
            > Leximation, Inc.
            > www.leximation.com
            > +1.415.485.1892
          • krisman1111
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
              Well, fixed the options problem, but it's completely stuffed now,
              won't even open :(

              Will try posting to the adobe forum and see what happens.