Re: [dita-users] DITA 1.2 Spec production data

  • Jarno Elovirta
    Message 1 of 41 , May 1, 2013
      Mica,

      Do you mean that the example below should result in an error condition because there are duplicate key definitions?

      Jarno

      On 1 May 2013 03:15, Mica Semrick <paperdigits@...> wrote:

      Jarno,

      Key names are global, and that should fail, no?

      -Mica

      On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Jarno Elovirta <jelovirt@...> wrote:

      The spec at http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/non-normative/interoperability-considerations.html says

      The DITA specification does not require processors to perform filtering, content reference resolution, key space construction, and other processing related to base DITA semantics in any particular order. This means that different conforming DITA processors may produce different results for the same initial data set and filtering conditions.

      I think this allows different results. E.g. as the spec doesn't mandate that the key space is constructed before conref processing, reversing the order there may result in different output. Current DITA-OT order is

      1. key space construction
      2. conref resolution
      3. keyref resolution

      But the order could be

      1. conref resolution
      2. key space construction
      3. keyref resolution

      For example, if we have

      <map id="map">

      <topicgroup conref="#map/second">

      <keydef keys="foo" href="first.dita"/>

      </topicgroup>

      <topicgroup id="second">

      <keydef keys="foo" href="second.dita"/>

      </topicgroup>
      </map>

      the effective value of key "foo" can be either "first.dita" or "second.dita".

      On 30 April 2013 21:44, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:

      The spec *cannot* allow the order of conref and keyref processing to result
      in different final results: that would be very very wrong. If you think the
      spec does allow that, please provide the citation. But whether you resolve
      conrefs first or keyrefs first, the result should always be the same because
      meaning of the source is invariant and deterministic, meaning you should
      *always* get the same result.

      In particular, you have to resolve all direct conrefs before you can
      determine any key bindings--in any other case you don't have sufficient
      information to know if your effective key definitions are complete (because
      a conref on a key-defining topicref could change the effective attribute
      values for the topicref element).

      What the spec does allow is different orders of filtering and conref
      resolution, but in that case, the final result will be same, although in one
      case you may get messages about bad references and in other you won't (see
      http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/non-normative/interoperability-
      considerations.html#nteroperability-considerations)

      In your example, the meaning of the markup in invariant: the key named "foo"
      will have as its link text the value of the element with ID "baz" in topic
      file "bar.dita".

      The order of processing cannot change that.

      If, for example, you resolved keyrefs before conrefs, then as part of the
      keyref resolution you'd have to rewrite the conref so that the resulting
      @conref value still got you to the resource addressed by "bar.dita#bar/baz"
      relative to the document that contains the <keydef> element. Any other
      processing result would be wrong and would be a bug.

      If that is done, then the final result must be the same as if you resolved
      the conrefs and then did keyref resolution on the conref-resolved result.

      Cheers,

      E.

      --
      Eliot Kimber
      Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions

    • Ron Wheeler
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 4, 2013
        My RAM disk setup is working well.
        It has survived a few Windows updates with required reboots over the
        last 2 weeks.
        The disk save and restore worked as advertised and nothing was lost or
        damaged so far.

        I am using the Eclipse editor to edit my DITA docs and the RAM drive has
        made Eclipse quite snappy.

        I would certainly recommend it to anyone who is tired of waiting around
        for document builds or not happy with the time taken to switch between
        topics in editing.

        Looking forward to a more efficient set of final steps in the build
        process which are now compute bound and seem to take a long time for
        such a short document.

        Ron

        --
        Ron Wheeler