DITA output for IBM Rational tools?

  • susan_ditarep
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30 12:55 PM

      How many in the DITA community are interested in single-sourcing documentation generated by the IBM Rational tools that engineers use in product development? For example, we are interested in single-sourcing requirements to make sure that they are accurate and up-to-date.

      The IBM Rational group has an elaborate publishing engine that outputs PDF, Word, HTML, and XSL-FO. You can read about it at:

      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/document-compliance-rational-publishing-engine-1/index.html

      However, without DITA output, you can't reuse or conref the documentation in a DITA context.

      Maybe if enough of us showed an interested in DITA output from IBM Rational tools, the group might raise the priority of the feature in their product roadmap.

      Please comment on this topic if you are interested in furthering this effort to get DITA outputl

      Susan Self
      Qualcomm

    • ant@ant-davey.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30 1:19 PM

        If we're already using a structured authoring tool that doesn't have high annual license charges, and produces platform-independent output already, why would we want to switch to another 'structured authoring' tool with high annual license charges, the business case for which falls over as soon as you want to publish anything anywhere other than Word?

        I have DOORS users at work and so far they have failed to show that it can output to anything other than Word, and that only poorly,  when we need to be able to publish to muliple formats, possibly using conditional texts based on audience profiles.

        I can think of another word beginning with 'e' that also describes the 'elaborate publishing engine', which probably explains why we haven't seen it in use at my place of work.

        Yet to be convinced,

        Ant