Re: Next meeting April 25 at 5:30 - A day in the life with the DITA Open Toolkit

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 27 8:19 AM
      Is there a particular video app I need to view the video? I tried 3 different video viewing apps under Window Vista & Ubuntu and viewing from the website and the downloaded file. I closest I came was audio but no video.

      TIA, Bob

      --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "juliov27612" <julio_v27612@...> wrote:

      > The video of this meeting has been posted to http://www.stc-carolina.org/DITA+User+Group
      >
      > Enjoy!
      >
      > Julio J. Vazquez
      > SDI Global Solutions
      >
      > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "juliov27612" <julio_v27612@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everybody,
      > >
      > > For folks in the RTP area, we'll be hosting the meeting at the SDI offices, 1005 Slater Road, Durham, NC.
      > >
      > > If you can't attend in person, you can still attend virtually by registering at: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/180578814
      > >
      > > The topic this month is "A day-in-the-life with the DITA Open Toolkit," including hands-on use of the toolkit to produce custom outputs for the DITA 1.2 Learning and Training specialization content.
      > >
      > > Your's truly, John Hunt, is the presenter. I work at IBM and currently go by the work title of Senior Technical Content Architect in the User Experience team for IBM Collaboration Solutions. I have 20+ years experience in information development, including deep background in user assistance and content management strategies. I'm a charter member of the DITA architects workgroup at IBM and chair the OASIS sub-committee that developed the DITA 1.2 Learning and Training content specialization.
      > >
      > > Thanks, and hope to see you next Wednesday.
      > >
      > > Julio J. Vazquez
      > > SDI Global Solutions

    • juliov27612
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 27 11:32 AM
        Hi Bob,

        Shouldn't need anything special; it's a WMV file. I know the player is invoked from the page.

        Not sure what's going on in your case, but I just tried it and it played.

        Julio J. Vazquez
        SDI Global Solutions

        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@...> wrote:

        > Is there a particular video app I need to view the video? I tried 3 different video viewing apps under Window Vista & Ubuntu and viewing from the website and the downloaded file. I closest I came was audio but no video.
        >
        > TIA, Bob
        >
        > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "juliov27612" <julio_v27612@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The video of this meeting has been posted to http://www.stc-carolina.org/DITA+User+Group
        > >
        > > Enjoy!
        > >
        > > Julio J. Vazquez
        > > SDI Global Solutions
        > >
        > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "juliov27612" <julio_v27612@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi everybody,
        > > >
        > > > For folks in the RTP area, we'll be hosting the meeting at the SDI offices, 1005 Slater Road, Durham, NC.
        > > >
        > > > If you can't attend in person, you can still attend virtually by registering at: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/180578814
        > > >
        > > > The topic this month is "A day-in-the-life with the DITA Open Toolkit," including hands-on use of the toolkit to produce custom outputs for the DITA 1.2 Learning and Training specialization content.
        > > >
        > > > Your's truly, John Hunt, is the presenter. I work at IBM and currently go by the work title of Senior Technical Content Architect in the User Experience team for IBM Collaboration Solutions. I have 20+ years experience in information development, including deep background in user assistance and content management strategies. I'm a charter member of the DITA architects workgroup at IBM and chair the OASIS sub-committee that developed the DITA 1.2 Learning and Training content specialization.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks, and hope to see you next Wednesday.
        > > >
        > > > Julio J. Vazquez
        > > > SDI Global Solutions

      • Bob
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30 9:41 AM
          Solution: The missing codec was G2M4. This is common to GoToMeeting but not standard to Windows Media Player. Once I downloaded the codec from Citrix the media player was able to use it and all is good.

          --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "juliov27612" <julio_v27612@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > Shouldn't need anything special; it's a WMV file. I know the player is invoked from the page.
          >
          > Not sure what's going on in your case, but I just tried it and it played.
          >
          > Julio J. Vazquez
          > SDI Global Solutions
          >
          > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is there a particular video app I need to view the video? I tried 3 different video viewing apps under Window Vista & Ubuntu and viewing from the website and the downloaded file. I closest I came was audio but no video.
          > >
          > > TIA, Bob
          > >
          > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "juliov27612" <julio_v27612@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > The video of this meeting has been posted to http://www.stc-carolina.org/DITA+User+Group
          > > >
          > > > Enjoy!
          > > >
          > > > Julio J. Vazquez
          > > > SDI Global Solutions

        • Tony Chung
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30 11:10 AM
            It might be good to convert the G2M4 proprietary CODEC format to
            something more universal, like H.264 MP4 or something. Do such tools
            exist?

            -T

            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2012
              Interesting because I did run the video through the Microsoft Expression Encoder which I thought would resolve the codec issue. Sorry for any inconvenience.

              Julio J. Vazquez
              SDI Global Solutions

              --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@...> wrote:

              > Solution: The missing codec was G2M4. This is common to GoToMeeting but not standard to Windows Media Player. Once I downloaded the codec from Citrix the media player was able to use it and all is good.
              >
              > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "juliov27612" <julio_v27612@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Bob,
              > >
              > > Shouldn't need anything special; it's a WMV file. I know the player is invoked from the page.
              > >
              > > Not sure what's going on in your case, but I just tried it and it played.
              > >
              > > Julio J. Vazquez
              > > SDI Global Solutions
              > >
              > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Is there a particular video app I need to view the video? I tried 3 different video viewing apps under Window Vista & Ubuntu and viewing from the website and the downloaded file. I closest I came was audio but no video.
              > > >
              > > > TIA, Bob

            • Mica Semrick
              Message 6 of 12 , May 1, 2012

                Handbrake! http://handbrake.fr/
                --
                Mica Semrick

                Technical Writer | Systems Engineer
                iCRco - The Innovative CR Company
                P) 310-921-9559 x226
                F) 310-542-7236
                msemrick@...
                http://www.icrcompany.com

                Message 7 of 12 , May 1, 2012
                  DITA loves de handbrake! I forgot that it's cross platform!

                  Thanks Mica!

                  -Tony